Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OMG Squeaky shifter!!!! HEEEELP!!!

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  thomaslee 
#1 ·
My 95 c220 is great, i love it!! But once you shift it into drive, and progress down the road, the automatic shifter SQUEAKS!!! I have tried using q-tips and grease, 3-in-1 oil and everything else to grease the shaft of the shifter (at least the part i can see through the groove in the shifter plate) And it STILL SQUEAKS! if you hold the shifter whne its in drive and BARELY move it it squeaks MORE, but if you push it slightly to the right, and hold it, the squeak is gone. Its REALLY driving me nuts!! Is this a common problem, or does anyone have a easy fix for this?

PLEASE?!?! also, i think the "baffles" inside my muffler have broken loose, the muffler rattles sometimes, and i see its a slip-on design - anyone know a cheap source for replacement exhaust for the 220? OEM or aftermarket? I dont want it to have the "sport sound" (NOISY) , i want it oem factory quiet!!

Please let me know!

Josh

#2 ·
for the shifter... have your shifter bushings replaced... it was a 20.00 job for me to have my done... everythings all snug again, no noises.

#3 ·
Your question #2 – Please checks that there is a plastic hanger ( 3 in your car ) for the muffler near the rear bumper, only 1 screw in my c230K. Have your car started, goto the bumper section and hear is the noise coming from there, if so, wear a pair of gloves and try to hold the muffler downward and if the rattling sound is gone, good news, the problem can be fixed real cheap ! All you needs is 3 plastic hanger - H8052-76843, and it is 3.28 each from oem parts, try the following link :

Select Brand

I have the same problem in my car and C230K have only 1 rear hanger, I am going to get the part and fix it tomorrow.

#4 ·
[QUOTE='91 300CE]for the shifter... have your shifter bushings replaced... it was a 20.00 job for me to have my done... everythings all snug again, no noises.[/QUOTE]

You are the man!!! I jacked up the car, and sprayed ALL the shifter linkage with PB Blaster, now all of my sqeaks are gone!!! Easier than i thought it would be!!!

(But i am ALSO replacing those bushings asap!

#5 ·
My apology doin12volt !

I replaced the plastic hanger last night but the sound is still there ! I check the muffler and it is no leak or anything unusual at all. I took the car to a shop today and the mechanic checked it and told me that there are 2 possibilities, #1 the inside coils ( or ??) in the catalytic converter was broken and flow to the muffler or #2, the muffler is gone and have loose pieces inside to make the shuffling noise.

It costs a lot to replace either the catalytic converter or the muffler; I will visit this link to see if there is any info at all for any cheap alternative to fix this problem !

#7 ·
I start up the car and take a look again, when I hold the muffler upward in the correct spot, the noise went away and once I let go my hand, the noise was there again ! I think something were broken inside !

Where did you get yours at 200.0 ?? That is cheap ?? Is that for the muffler only or with the catalytic converter as well ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.