Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Way too many to list, yes I horde MBs
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the number 1 injector as it is returning too much fuel. The hold down nut has a nut on top of the hold down piece using it as a spacer. This is also the case on #5 and 6. Apparently the bolt does not go all the way into the bore. I have cleaned out the hole, used a small screwdriver to try and dig out any crud in the bottom of the hole and it seems like it is hitting metal to me (not crud). Still the bolt will not go in all the way. I am wondering if there is a piece of broke off bolt from a previous repair down in hole, which is why it feels like the screw driver is hitting metal at the bottom. If its not actually metal and a whole bunch of crud, what is the best way to clean it out? Small drill bit ran slowly down the bottom? If its a piece of broken bolt, what about that? I do not really like the idea of using a nut as a spacer on top of it.

· Registered
W212 350CDI -09 W219 320CDI -07 Ex:W220 320CDI -01 Ex:W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
2,018 Posts
Is it still M6 bolt (or thread bar)?. Yep sounds like previous repairing gone bad... hard to say is it crud or broken bolt, anyway I think drilling is ony option. Needs just quite long tools to reach there, and difficult to get any remaining chips out for same reason. Or then you could co directly to time-serts. I wouldn't go bigger bolts, because after all, it is (poorly?) designed to use stretching bolts.

· Registered
Way too many to list, yes I horde MBs
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The old bolt I pulled out is the correct M6 bolt, and measures the same as the new bolt. If it is a portion of it broken off, its not that long of a piece as whoever last worked on it used a regular nut as a spacer. So whatever thickness that is, or less is what is in there. When I stuck that small screw driver down in there to feel around and try to break up and gunk, it sure felt like it was hitting metal, but who knows. There are 2 other injectors with the same nut spacer issue.

This is how this guy drilled it out. I will probably just end up using the nut spacer again for now and later down the road when I need to pull more injectors, just pull them all and the valve cover and tackle it then.

Then there is a different approach from this guy, although it appears perhaps it would only work if the head of the bolt was broke off futher toward the top before the threads in the head start. I don't see how this would screw down onto the bolt if it was broke off down in the threaded portion of the hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts