Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting with a bone-stock 300D turbo motor from an 83, other than the usual valve adjust, confirm valve and ip timing are optimised, clean filters and strong compression....how can I get a bit more oomph from the mighty diesel?

I'm not looking to get the same kind of kick that was in a C111, although I wouldn't complain....just getting the torque up somewhere near the level of a M117 560 motor would be great.

This winter's project is a diesel coupe to go with the 300SD and 560SEC.

I realize it's 126-territory, but no-one there seems willing to share what they know about diesel performance.

Hoping the 123 crew will pull through....goal is a comfortable 80mph cruise, 10l/100kmh fuel consumption and a 1000K range. Tall order? My 300SD cruises nicely at 75mph with plenty of passing power. Is completely stock.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
You might want to take a look at the superturbodiesel forum. Somewhere in that forum is about every mod you can do to get more oomph.
To max out the stock set up you might want to hook up a Pressure Gauge to your Intake Manifold and see how much boost your Turbo is giving.
I believe the max stock boost is 12 psi.
After that is adjusting the ALDA. The ALDA limits the max available Fuel when there is no boost pressure from the Turbo.
Rebuilding the Injectors may also help.
After that you will be going beyond stock.

·
Registered
166 Posts
..or changing to M-type injection pump like in N/A 82-> it should give more injection with little adjusting. Adding intercooler to get more cold air.

Next thing is getting bigger elements to pump and then you should change turbo to bigger and and :D its endless road, I know it ( had to buy holset hx40 because that one, what I bought to replace stock turbo, is too small also :rolleyes: ) theres several thing also but I dont remember those at this time so I write them when I remember :D

YouTube - MESEInsaneMe's Channel theres few videos of mine with bigger elements, 450mmx400mmx75mm intercooler and bigger turbo. There is also stock engine videos, last one is where I try to do donuts, now its little bit easier to do (with 245/45r 16" tires :cool: )

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks..

..I knew I was in the right place for diesel info.

126 related I know, but here is the candidate for the dieseloctomy.

Ideally I'd like a motor from a TD since that will have the SLS pump port. '
Unless I can make the one I have work? Sure like that SLS.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts