Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 A124 320 Cab - 85 C126 500 SEC - 98 S210 E50 AMG Wagon - 89 W126 300SE
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people, was out driving my E250 Diesel the other day, and was going up a steep hill, at around 4k rpm the engine made a very mechanical sound, and i lost all power, and allot of black smoke came out the exhaust. This has happend 2 times before. And its never really been a problem. The car work fine after this. This only happens in the high rpms.

Last time was a couple days ago. I've took my injectors to a auto shop, to pressure test them. But they all worked fine. So now i'm starting to wonder what might be causing this. I have turned up the diesel pressure, but i'm certain that its a normal level, since it was turned all way down before.

Does anybody know what might be causing this? And what i can to fix it?
9k km since last service. (5600miles)

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,400 Posts
Have you replaced all 3 fuel filters yet, including the one inside the fuel tank??? You may have algae contamination.

See link:
New Page 1

Another possibility could be a clogged oxidation catalyst.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
This is a non turbo right?

·
Registered
94 A124 320 Cab - 85 C126 500 SEC - 98 S210 E50 AMG Wagon - 89 W126 300SE
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's a non turbo.

I'm pretty sure it must have something to do with it getting to much diesel. Before this problem happened i usually got some black smoke at 4k + rpms. And i'm pretty sure that is unburnt diesel. This problem also happens when its driven in high rpms for a few seconds.

I have not replaced the fuel filter inside the tank, i don't even know where it is. I have replaced the 2 others though.

·
Registered
17,400 Posts
Fuel tank strainer is located above the differential as shown in the link sent earlier.

If your fuel tank strainer is clogged or shows contamination, you MUST pull the tank and clean it as shown in the link. Otherwise, you will never kill all the algae spores and your fuel tank will remain a biological breeding ground.

Also, have you checked if your delivery valves on the injection pump are leaking??? The valves on OM605 & OM606 are very prone to leaking. IF the valve sticks you will get full fuel enrichment to the respective injector. This is easy to fix. Check here http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM606DeliveryValveSeals

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm thinking more like air starvation or exhaust obstruction. I wonder if it has those throttle valves on the intake. I can imagine one malfunctioning and starving the engine.

·
Registered
17,400 Posts
Second variable intake valve opens @ 3500. OP is reporting issue crops up after passing the 4K mark.

Still, wouldn't hurt to diagnose the vacuum system and verify all electrical connections are solid, especially since this is a later diesel that came with eco junk wiring (which hopefully has already been replaced).

I'm still leaning towards a fuel and/or exhaust issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts