Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 Mercedes and lately I've been having a lot of problems with the engine while turning the car on and off.

When I turn the car on I glow it properly and even if it's hot outside, maybe an ambient temperature of 80 Fahrenheit the engine starts like it's 20 degrees outside. It knocks and takes up to 20 or 30 seconds to smooth out, all the while it smokes like crazy with tons of blue/black smoke all over the place.

After that the engine runs fine. It seems to operate fine under all conditions. It accelerates like normal and runs fine.

The only other problem comes when I turn the car off. From when I turn the key the engine runs for another 2 or so seconds and then shudders to a rough stop, this is when the engine is at all temperatures, including after being run for a while.

Does anyone have any clues as to what could be causing this?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an 87 Mercedes and lately I've been having a lot of problems with the engine while turning the car on and off.

When I turn the car on I glow it properly and even if it's hot outside, maybe an ambient temperature of 80 Fahrenheit the engine starts like it's 20 degrees outside. It knocks and takes up to 20 or 30 seconds to smooth out, all the while it smokes like crazy with tons of blue/black smoke all over the place.

After that the engine runs fine. It seems to operate fine under all conditions. It accelerates like normal and runs fine.

The only other problem comes when I turn the car off. From when I turn the key the engine runs for another 2 or so seconds and then shudders to a rough stop, this is when the engine is at all temperatures, including after being run for a while.

Does anyone have any clues as to what could be causing this?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
Ok easiest first ! Go to your local Biodiesel retailer and run a tankfull of Bio through it .....
Apparently its a similar effect to running a diesel purge cleaning the pump and injectors.
I can only speak from experience and it transformed my 250D she runs great now....

(then change the filters)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My local mechanic (idiot who thought the engine was running perfectly, while it wasn't) suggested I use some diesel treat every time I fill up. I put some in with my last tank of fuel. Theoretically if I used the diesel treat enough would it be enough to help my engine?

Or should I look for someone to do a diesel purge for me. I have no car fixing skills, so would the purge be something that a local mechanic could do, or my local dealership?

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
How many miles on your D? It's a good idea to run some Diesel purge through once every year or so to keep the injectors clean..

Stay away from the dealer..they know nothing.

One thing to keep in mind w/ the bio is it can also loosen up the gunk that's in your tank and you'll be going through fuel filters like no one's business..

Jonathan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
251500 miles, roughly.

Right, avoid dealer and aim for diesel purge then?

I was hesitant to try the bio diesel because of all of the extra work, plus I don't know anyone local who sells any. I live in an area where it's hard to come by.

·
Registered
61 Posts
251500 miles, roughly.

Right, avoid dealer and aim for diesel purge then?

I was hesitant to try the bio diesel because of all of the extra work, plus I don't know anyone local who sells any. I live in an area where it's hard to come by.

Extra work? change the spin off filter and inline filter once ($11)
its no biggie.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Sounds like clogged injectors/filters as far as the startup issue goes, and also don't forget the fuel strainer sock at the bottom of the fuel tank.

Your shutoff problem could be a bad vacuum shut-off diaphram on the injector pump.

If you don't want to mess with the diesel purge (even though it works really well), I recommend Red Line DFC (diesel fuel catalyst). Add it when you're nearly empty and add fresh diesel after pouring in the additive. Available at Pep Boys, etc. Check Red Line Oil: Fuel Additives for details on DFC

I use DFC with every tank to avoid water contamination and algae since I fill up in Mexico where fuel quality varies.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It might be the glow plugs or the glow plug relay.
I would test the glow plugs first. Does this not sound exactly like a failed relay or a few worn out plugs? (Note, find a friend who has diesel experience. They'll love your 603 and work on it for free.)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Errr. Nothing in life is free. I don't work on cars for free except my own.
No offense but even with your extreme clarity, the world is bigger than you see. And a friend that loves diesel will feel just fine working on these great engines with a good friend. I would.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Well, no offense when I say that I have already been there done that.

But what starts as a nice gesture ends up as a part time volunteer job. In other words, you give a hand working on a car in a time of need (for them) and the next thing you know you're working on their son's car, their lawnmower, their kitchen appliances, etc, etc, etc.

You give an inch, and they take a foot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
sbaert
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing