Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Benz 300D
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the chain on my 91 300D today. Didn't check in advance how to remove the tensioner before starting, so I ended up removed the center spring loaded shaft.

With the spring loaded shaft and other parts removed should it be wide open? IE: should I be able to insert a screwdriver and touch the plastic tensioner rail? When I insert a magnet through the center hole there is something magnetic (steel) in the cylinder at the chain tensioner end. Looking in (the hole) with a mirror and light I can see what looks like part of the plunger.

My fear is unscrewing the part remaining in the hard could result in the broken shaft falling into my engine. The chain and tensioner rail blocks viability in the head or access with any tools.

I would have expected the end to be a smooth machine surface, mine looks more like something that broke and wore against the other 1/2 for many miles.

So is my tensioner shaft (plunger) broken?

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
The plunger presses against a steel button insert in the aluminum chain rail. Your tensioner is just worn from years of use. I would replace it.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,408 Posts
Forget Meyle for a critical part like this. Go with genuine MB or, if you have to, Laso as a 2nd choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts