Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hoping someone here could take a few measurements and photos of the inside of a OM352 or OM352a valve cover. Measurement wise im looking to see a ruff estimate of the intake area volume... From my gasket I figure about 21 inches by 2 by 2.5. but I don't know what the insides look like affecting volume
Thanks

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,265 Posts
Best way would be to seal any holes up, and fill it with water, then measure out the water, that would give you a good volume measurement (would it not?)

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,035 Posts
Give me till tomorrow afternoon and I can give you what you need. Mine of course is apart at the moment and would be easy to measure.

What's the occasion.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that would be a perfect way.. but Im honeslty just looking for a ball park. + or - a few is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,674 Posts
Dave,
Just curious, what is this information for? You got something fancy in the works?

C.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well for the time being nothing fancy... just looking at ways to help start a cold motor. Ether injection, grid heater setup ... something. but maybe next year in the spring I might do some experimenting increasing the air flow, for the turbo ETC. but Ill be pulling the injectors, adjusting the valves, timing changes ETC. and will be looking at the cover in depth.

Let not forget the combined intake-valve cover setup is pretty cool

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
I sort of like the grid heater idea - it certainly works well on the Cummins set-up Dodge uses. The heater assy should be very cheap and easy to obtain. Many good-ol-boys living in the south remove them. You better have good batteries, though...

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,035 Posts
Dimensions:

D: 3 15/16"
L: 21 3/4"
W: 1 3/4"

Also there are 5 indents into the chamber that are a bit hard to measure due to shape. But unless you need exact volume, I doubt it matters..

If it does matter, I might be able to fill her up with water to get her exact......

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Dimensions:

Also there are 5 indents into the chamber that are a bit hard to measure due to shape. But unless you need exact volume, I doubt it matters..

If it does matter, I might be able to fill her up with water to get her exact......
How goes the re-build squire?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Pistons arrive tomorrow!! Will post some Info on them tomorrow. Otherwise, it's all going smoothly. Pretty easy project so far.

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Pleased to hear it! I have been following your turbo thread ( and subsequent demise) quite closely as I have just done mine!

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Just watch your timing, EGT's and oil. You should be just fine.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
Is the Start Pilote system not good enough?
The Start Pilote system IS adequate. However, it uses consumables (which may or may not be harder to obtain in NA) and requires operator intervention and some level of skill. Charge air heating devices are transparent, always available and seem to be trouble free. Heaters do, however, stress your electrical system.

Another example of performance and operational trade-off's.

OT - so I'll drop it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have never had excessive cold start issues, but noticed that with fresh injectors, mine recently started easily and idled smooth at 20 F without using the start pilot. Certainly an improvement from last winter.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dimensions:

Perfect, thank you.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Start Pilote system IS adequate. However, it uses consumables (which may or may not be harder to obtain in NA) and requires operator intervention and some level of skill. Charge air heating devices are transparent, always available and seem to be trouble free. Heaters do, however, stress your electrical system.

Another example of performance and operational trade-off's.

OT - so I'll drop it.
Start Pilote... Actually my truck doesn't have one, Need to see if Von has one LOL.. or my favorite dealer for a new one but I fear a new ones cost will be prohibitive.

Last week it actually got cold in WA state... "I know 16 degrees F isn't cold but.." I honestly almost didn’t' get the truck going. The battery is about 3 years old, I’m sure a charger on it more often would have helped as well as the truck sits for weeks sometimes. In the end I hooking up the 100 Amp boost before it got too far down. But the truck cranked and cranked before it fired, and once running it was pretty rough until all 6 fired. If I didn't have power I would have been screwed.

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Two big batteries and a hour of the coolant heater plugged in and my 4000 hr om352 spins right to life at zero degrees f. I have to run it for 30 mins before the shifter will budge in any direction, so I may have to opt for arctic lube in the trans. I wonder if ice has formed at the base of shifter handle under the rubber cap where shifter enters top of trans over the shift plate? I can get lateral movement initially but no back and forth until its good and warm.

·
Registered
1970 406 Unimog with 9'2" Boss V-Plow....... 1974 404 Unimog Rock Crawler
874 Posts
ALASKAT, Why not mount one of these magnetic heaters to the bottom of your tranny? Fire it up while your waiting for your block heater to warm up the engine. Or better yet, leave it on overnight.

Or a more permanent solution:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts