Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300D 2.5 turbo diesel
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
93 300D

So I'm a little bit confused and inexperienced when dealing with this type of scenario. Odds are I may be overthinking it.

I've looked over this:
07 Mechanical/Electronic Injection - M602, M603 Checking timing and adjusting timing pdfs, but I'm still pretty much in the dark.

I'm trying to figure out where the top dead center is for the injection pump sprocket when I put on the new timing chain. I spoke to the guy at the machine shop that rebuilt the head and he said there's some type of pin.

Is this what he is referring to:

Now I've removed the timing cover, so the injection pump 3 main mounting bolts are removed, but the pump hasn't moved.(as far as i am aware). The back adjustment bolt hasn't been messed with, and the sprocket is still mounted. There are no marks on the injection pump sprocket like the cam sprocket so I'm not sure how to align the injection pump sprocket.

Fyi:. When i cut the timing chain master link the injection pump sprocket was pulling the chain into the engine. I've noticed that the injection pump sprocket is spring loaded??

Any insight, or relevant step by step documentation would be greatly appreciated.

I've included a screenshot of the injection pump serial number plate.

Regards,
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,659 Posts
07.1-8410.pdf (w124performance.com) referring to this. The other name for the Baum tool is a timing locking pin and there is original Mercedes ones and the Baum one is likely one of the copies. The Mercedes Part number is in the pdf 601 589 05 21 00. There are usually several sellers on eBay for that item.

What you do is on the Fuel Injection Pump Governor Housing is a plug with a 17mm head on it. I go by Diesel911 over on this other forum. See post #2 for how to use the timing locking pin. Please note that the shallow groove on the end of the locking pin has to be oriented properly after you install it.

IP install... locking tool weird, teeth are off the mark. - PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings 300D,

Thanks for some clarity on this subject. So you would not recommend the Baum tool? Best to find the original Mbz locking pin? I'll see what's out there.

If I'm understanding correctly the 17mm plug(governor housing) is the key to getting the correct "TDC" position? The locking pin when correctly installed will line up the I.P at 14.5° ADC(602.96/my engine) for everything (crank/cam/I.P) in order to install chain property.

In the peach parts forum i read that there are markings on the sprocket/I P? Or did i miss read?

Thanx again for lighting my brain load.

Michael

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,659 Posts
Greetings 300D,

Thanks for some clarity on this subject. So you would not recommend the Baum tool? Best to find the original Mbz locking pin? I'll see what's out there.

If I'm understanding correctly the 17mm plug(governor housing) is the key to getting the correct "TDC" position? The locking pin when correctly installed will line up the I.P at 14.5° ADC(602.96/my engine) for everything (crank/cam/I.P) in order to install chain property.

In the peach parts forum i read that there are markings on the sprocket/I P? Or did i miss read?

Thanx again for lighting my brain load.

Michael
Nothing wrong with the Baum Tool. I got mine on eBay too many years back. The present one I have is not a real Mercedes one but when I found a good deal on tools, I used to buy them, and I did have some real Mercedes ones.
At that time there was no Chinese copies. Now there is Chinese copies, but I have not read about or had experience on them.

I did an ebay search "mercedes timing locking pin" and came up with one sold by Samstagsales which has a website and is a long-time seller or quality tools.

However, that tool has a pin protruding out the side. I have never seen one like that before.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,659 Posts
OK the samstagsales tool would work fine on yours as when you remove the plug on yours you look inside, and you will see a slot for the protruding pin to go into to line it up properly.
In the US that is $35+$6.15 shipping.

It does not have the side protruding pin so it is like the ones I used in the peachparts post.

Laser Tools are made in China, but I have bought stuff from them, and they are good quality.
This is also on eBay but ships from the UK Laser Tools 5974 In-Line Diesel Pump Locking Screw - for Bosch US$ 23.17+ US 8.05

Laser Tools 5974 In-Line Diesel Pump Locking Screw - for Bosch
Bosch In-Line Diesel Fuel Pump Timing Pin for Mercedes-Benz, enables the injection pump timing to be set.
  • Applications: 200D, E200D, 250D, E250, E250D, E250, 250D, E250, 300D, E300, 200TD, 300TD, 190D.
  • Equivelant to OEM 601 589 0521 00.
There are likely other sellers, but you will have to research that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jey,

Thank you so much for the information. It's a tremendous help. You're the best. 💜🙏💜

1 - 6 of 6 Posts