Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is whats happening......on start up i sometimes have a huge ammount of smoke until the truck is up to temp....other times there is no smoke at all...im wondering (as im sure the neighbors are as they choke in a cloud of blue diesel smoke) what make it smoke sometimes and not others.....any ideas? as always, all coments are appreciated.

cheers, kris

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
Smoke from my 352 is a function of outside temp. When it's above 50F, it doesn't smoke at start-up hardly at all. Between 30F & 50F, it has a reasonable amount of white smoke until it's past 60-70C on the water temp.

Below freezing, look out...

The damn thing smokes like a D9 Cat that's been sitting in a swamp for 5 years - real tractor clouds. It'll block out the sun [:D] Plus, it really waters your eyes - true MogStink ! My engine only has about 650 hours on it.

Out here in the "country", I see big white clouds all the time from the farmers starting various pieces of ratty equipment when it's cold - some of the clouds are truly awesome to see !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exactly as stated above.

The governer will give excess fuel on startup to help with combustion. The fuel is not being completely burnt at the colder temperatures and will result in the white cloud. You could try a block heater or a fuel fired coolant heater to aid in cold starting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts