Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'87 560SL // Anthracite + Palomino
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Second, I have a question—and it's been a while since I've been on here.

I have an '87 560SL with 200k on her. The last oil change is going on two seasons now, so probably close to 2 years—in that time, I've put MAYBE 200 miles on the car. At last change, I remember the mechanic saying something about NOT changing the filter, because it could potentially damage something by doing so. (no idea what that could mean).

Question is, could I/should I change just the oil myself, at home, since the garages are all closed indefinitely? I don't plan on driving it all that much, really just around town and such. Curious what you all think.

Thanks in advance

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
No idea why the mechanic said it could cause damage unless he knew he was incompetent a would fuck it up.

Yes, go ahead and change at home.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
127 Posts
+1 on the "mechanic"! He probably has never changed anything but spin on filters. I would change the oil and filter at home, but use a LARGE drain pan! You want at least a 12 quart pan, so you can move it without spilling oil. Don't forget to start the engine after the change, but BEFORE you take the car off the stands so you can look for leaks.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Not sure what your "mechanic" was talking about. Did he change the filter last time...or did he leave the old one in?

Many oil change discussions here on the forum....mechanicing 101. Fear not.

But for heaven's sake...DO NOT start a "what kind of oil to use" thread.

You will be flamed. and probably ridiculed. And maybe even a 24 hour forum ban....I don't have that power. But I know people.

·
Registered
'73 450 SLC / '74 450 SL / '01 ML55
496 Posts
Not sure what your "mechanic" was talking about. Did he change the filter last time...or did he leave the old one in?

Many oil change discussions here on the forum....mechanicing 101. Fear not.

But for heaven's sake...DO NOT start a "what kind of oil to use" thread.

You will be flamed. and probably ridiculed. And maybe even a 24 hour forum ban....I don't have that power. But I know people.
#1 Castrol 03095 GTX 20W-50 Motor Oil, 5 Quart (x2)

·
Registered
1986 560SL 1986 420 SEL
129 Posts
I changed my oil and filter last Saturday. Today I opened the hood. Oil everywhere😲. I forgot to put the oil cap back on.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
I changed my oil and filter last Saturday. Today I opened the hood. Oil everywhere😲. I forgot to put the oil cap back on.
On the positive side it wasn't the drain plug you forgot.

·
29,512 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL (us), Former owner: 1965 190Dc
1,351 Posts

I have an '87 560SL with 200k on her. The last oil change is going on two seasons now, so probably close to 2 years—in that time, I've put MAYBE 200 miles on the car. At last change, I remember the mechanic saying something about NOT changing the filter, because it could potentially damage something by doing so. (no idea what that could mean).

Question is, could I/should I change just the oil myself, at home, since the garages are all closed indefinitely? I don't plan on driving it all that much, really just around town and such. Curious what you all think.

Thanks in advance
Last I checked oil doesn't rot or spoil. The oil that you would buy at the parts store could be 2 years old before it made it to the shelf. My owners manual and the online shop manual says to run it 5000 miles, which what I do. Its never tar black the times I have changes it, and I always clean out the filter canister. I use Valvoline VR1 20W50, which is the weight recommended by the owners and shop manual.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts

Thanks in advance
Some years, my 107 doesn't get driven much. I still change oil on annual basis, but skip filter if mileage since last change is low. Those years, I suck the oil out as usual, using vacuum, but don't remove drain plug afterwards. Leaves a little oil in sump and filter, but not much.

Lot of guys here use conventional 20W40 or 50? Synthetics like Mobil 0W40 synthetic that all modern MBs use was probably not available when manuals were written, but that is what I use - For no good reason, except I "think" it stays adhered to wear surfaces longer which is good for a little used car.

Let oil discussion end now :) Use whatever you think is best.

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
866 Posts
Just for Nobby, I think I'll start another "What oil should I use"? thread.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::LOL:

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
320 Posts
I change my 87 560 oil every spring when it comes out storage. My mechanic recommends Rotella T. Given how few miles I put on it I doubt oil is going to be the determining factor in its untimely demise. Much more likely to be a roundabout incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,531 Posts
Changing oil isn't cheap these days and considering the very low mileage I do I just do it once a year.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks in advance
First of all, run the car and check the oil to see how dark it is. If it's still light, I am not sure I would worry about it that much. I have an '87 MB 560SL and in Texas 2 years is an awfully long time even just sitting.The mechanic who said not to change the filter is a nut. However, I have found (with my 190SL), the oil change places have a tendency to put in the new metal washer without removing the old one, causing leaks. They just don't know how to install the old Bosch type, paper filters, so unless I were standing there to make sure they do it correctly, I would not use typical oil change places.

·
29,512 Posts
Lucky for me, I need to change the oil in The PIG at least twice a year.

Because I drive it. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts