Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just bought a 1988 560SEL, It is in great condition, Only a few small spots on hood paint needs redoing, interior is mint. Its like brand new.... she has got 129k original miles on it.

Car has been sitting for 2 years.. so she is not running as of the moment... She cranks with starting fluid.. I don't have much money to dump into it.. but I am pretty handy with tools...

I have managed to clean the entire fuel system had old nasty green fuel in it.... Idk why it was green.. But the Fuel Distributor was plugged... I blew it out with an air compressor.

I am soaking the injectors in carb cleaner to free them up hopefully... They are plugged right solid.. Not sure if they will come clean... will blow them with the compressor too..

This is my first Mercedes if you guys know anything else that might be bad from sitting for so long let me know... I would appreciate it,

I'm hoping to have her running by the end of the week. :) I will post pictures

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
how long has it been sitting? gasoline will turn green in a tank and get rusty so you need a new gas tank. i have an ultrasonic (jewelry) cleaner and nothing works better on fuel injectors, i don't think an air compressor will harm them but i'm not sure.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,131 Posts
Congrats. Hope it works out for you. Mine sat for ages but was ok. Depending on the climate, the petrol is under pressure in the tank and so keeps reasonably well. These tanks dont tend to rust so hopefully yours will be okay.
I wonder if its worth getting your injectors reconditioned. Apparently theres a high rate of substandard quality from new ones. Definitely change any fluids in the car. Apart from that, read up about the timing chain.
Welcome anyway :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I put new fuel in and drained it a little its clean the tank is okay, I have to change all the fluids still.

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
Don't forget to change the differential oil, too.

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts