Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I ever! Knew how awesome these mercedes are I wouldn't have waited half a lifetime getting one. Never joined or posted anywhere but now. Went through a life changing event last year. I blew out my esophagus, not a tire my fn esophogus. Long story short they made one from my stomach and relocated my stomach up by my heart. Crazy stuff. I realized I needed something to satisfy my lack of desire for anything and wanted something fast comfortable and affordable. So now I get it guys and gals. Amazing cars! I researched many cars, all mercedes by the way and finally ended up with a 05 s600. I've had many fast cars in the past, but never one that propels you so quietly and quickly! I am a fan. 140k new and only 6k now, its was worth taking a look. A look was all it took, even though I was warned about how expensive these are to maintain, i knew i would be performing all my own work on the car. My nephew just bought a new mountain bike for more than i paid for this car, making me feel even better about my purchase. I've been researching as much as possible on the vehicle and thought I would get to know others who know more about these than myself. It's a complicated car and look forward to sharing my knowledge as well as being educated. Congrats to you all on owning some of the nicest cars ever produced (Imho) just bought online service manual, nearly 8000 pages and no index. Just a bit irritated about that one lol.

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,807 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the Forum :)

The best advice I can give you is buy a decent Clone SDS Machine, it is absolutely essential for maintaining your Vehicle without playing "Parts Darts" with expensive components.

It is waaaaay more than a Code Reader. Do not be tempted to buy anything cheaper, they can be bought starting at about $500 / £400 !!

Enjoy :)

HTH,

·
Registered
W163 ML320, W220 S500, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
617 Posts
Congrats on your S600. I got my first Mercedes in 2005 and have never been without one since. Today I have four, and a Maserati. I'd have more but that's all the parking room I've got. Jumping right to a V12 is like jumping right into the fire, it took me 15 years before I got my SL600 but with nearly 700HP there is nothing else like it. Mercedes really are the best cars and the most bang you can get for your buck. I always looked at them as a kid knowing they were so close to perfection and also highly expensive, then when I grew up learned that you can but them cheaper after someone else had the depreciation! Definitely happy I found Benzworld early on, my first clue was a shop wanted $400 to install front brake pads. That's it, just brake pads. I knew this was too much so I went home and looked on the internet, learned how easy the brakes were on a 1987 300E, and bought parts online and did it myself and saved a ton of dough. I've since done 99% of all repairs and maintenance myself learning all the way. The newer models become more complicated but still just a machine, once you learn about them they are like any other car only better! Just don't trust a dealership for service, and once you know you need a part, source it easily online for better prices. Taking care of your car yourself is so much cheaper and fun as well. I like the depreciation situation because if I'd paid full new price on all 5 of my cars it would be close to half a million dollars! Many used luxury/sports cars in perfect shape cost a lot less than most people might think, and you get to own something that cost so much when new, yet it's still very much like new. My SL600 cost $136,000 when new and it is just as beautiful and fast actually (faster) today then when it was born. My W220 S500 cost $93,000 when new and I bought it for 5% of that. Fixed a few things, ridiculously cheaply after being quoted thousands by mercedes dealership service crooks, and the car is like new and perfect today. Nearly everything you could possible need to know, can be found here on Benzworld.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,528 Posts
What a story and welcome ! I have a s600 and CL600 they are fantastic cars but do give you problems from
Time to time

The only part you really need to change proactively is the transmission electrical plug , so it doesn’t leak fluid into your Tcu. And check your abc hoses for Leaks or weeping fluid . Everything else you can just wait till it fails to repair.

·
Registered
2005 S600
465 Posts
Great choice on a car. It is a car like no other.

I’ll second getting SDS - you simply cannot work on a car this complex without the full diagnostic information and workshop procedures contained in SDS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the responses and I'm glad I joined. In regards to getting a SDS. I'm not familiar. Sounds like it may stand for systems diagnostic software. Boy, I'm out of my league here and I'm loving it! You guys are awesome. Appreciate the input. I'm gonna Google SDS.

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,807 Posts
I'll save you getting all sorts of replies from Google, (some might be really entertaining) :D ............

Star Diagnostic System, which has DAS and Xentry Software amongst much else ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts