Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SL65, 1998 CL600 (sold), 1989 560SEL (sold)
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on how to remove the old adhesive from wheel balance weights? I know acetone would do it but the wheels I'm trying to clean are painted (AMG S55).

·
Registered
89 BMW E34 ///M20 525i
148 Posts
Any advice on how to remove the old adhesive from wheel balance weights? I know acetone would do it but the wheels I'm trying to clean are painted (AMG S55).
Ah yes! I had this issue with my style-5 wheels for my fiver!

Go purchase some 3m adhesive remover from your local hardware store. It's quite inexpensive, and comes in smaller, I believe 10 or so oz bottles for small jobs like this.

Soak the foam and glue, whatever is left, with a cotton terry or soft cloth you don't really care too much about.(Something you won't be using on your paint)
Let it sit for around a minute, maybe agitate a bit. You will notice it loosening. After it sits, just scrub off, making sure to keep it wet with the adhesive remover. This works best when warm as well.

When you're finished, wash any surface that has come in contact with the adhesive remover, and protect. For wheels, there are so many options. I use Rejex sealant and soil barrier, but most OTC waxes will work at protecting the wheels from brake dust/tar/etc (try to find one that won't leave a white residue on edges and cracks, etc... While you're at it, you may want to look into claying your wheels, polishing, etc. THEN following up with a protectant. I'm a big, "while I was at it" kinda guy, so I'd see that as an opportunity (or excuse:p) to get some more done on the wheels.

Here's how they were when I bought my wheels.
http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/6091/dsc1901any7.jpg

I'll look for after shots.

·
Registered
2009 SL65, 1998 CL600 (sold), 1989 560SEL (sold)
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 3M adhesive remover worked great and didn't hurt the paint finish. Thanks for the tip.
-Dave

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Goo Gone

1 - 4 of 4 Posts