Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done several hours of research so far, but I need your experience.
I had a slk230 for years, hail storm destroyed it, now a barn find, really, if you go in my barn you will find it. I just bought a 92 SL500 w/96k on it, it has been sitting for 3 solid years. I have put a new battery in it. Got juice.
First goal, empty tank, empty reserve and see if there is a way to use the starting process to pump out the old fuel in the fuel lines with new fuel after I get the tank empty.
Question, best way to remove all I can of old fuel.
Thank you for your input in advance.
Mark

·
Registered
1997 SL600
15 Posts
I recently bought a 1997 SL600 that has been sitting for 4 years. The owner had it running with a new battery but I suspect he didn't put any new fuel in it as the low fuel light was on. It ran fine for the 2 miles back to my house. I put fresh gas in it right away, but the point being as long as it's not run for too long with the old gas, you will be fine. The main issue with 3-5 year old gas will be lower octane than what it was originally.

To answer your question about draining, you could remove the fuel line where the filter is and try letting it gravity drain. You might need or want to cycle the key to "prime" the pump to help the process. A bit of a dangerous or messy or messy game if you don't know what you're doing.

How much gas is in it now?

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently bought a 1997 SL600 that has been sitting for 4 years. The owner had it running with a new battery but I suspect he didn't put any new fuel in it as the low fuel light was on. It ran fine for the 2 miles back to my house. I put fresh gas in it right away, but the point being as long as it's not run for too long with the old gas, you will be fine. The main issue with 3-5 year old gas will be lower octane than what it was originally.

To answer your question about draining, you could remove the fuel line where the filter is and try letting it gravity drain. You might need or want to cycle the key to "prime" the pump to help the process. A bit of a dangerous or messy or messy game if you don't know what you're doing.

How much gas is in it now?
Good evening.
The tank shows just under a quarter tank, low fuel light is on. I did look under the car this evening and I can easily see where I can disconnect the fuel line to the pump. But not sure about how to get the reserve fuel out,
I’m thinking that after I drain what I can add 10 gallons and some heat, any thoughts on attempting to pump out fuel at the fuel injector receiver under the hood.
Your suggestions are welcome.
Thank you
Mark

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I’m hoping to tinker with it this weekend. I’m sure I have other issues with this car, but let’s get her running first. I’ll keep you in the loop.
Thank you
Sweep01

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, some good news and a new question.
Old fuel is out, Wow it stunk big time. New fuel in, started right up. Got warm after 15 min, to warm. Bought new thermostat. That fixed that issue, all good.
Took off hard top today, good news, the new soft-top is in perfect condition and roof opened and locked properly. So that is huge.
New issue, idles pretty good, reb’s up good, sounds a little off, but very responsive. Drove 1/4 mile back and forth several times.
Issue is, it does not want to get going. Baby it up to 40 mph or so, floor it and it just slows down.
Your suggestions are welcome.
Thank you
M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts