Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone is giving away a good amount of "old diesel fuel", can this still be used, what issues could arise from using it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
No, I wouldn't use it. Old desiel fuel doesn't burn very well at all, your motor would run like sh*t and could cause damage to the injection system. You really shouldn't buy diesel from small filling station because it is stale from sitting so long since nopt many people have diesel motors, the only way to know your getting fresh diesel is to go to a truck stop and get it from the same pump the trucks do.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This stuff is free, there's nothing that can be done with it, even mixing it with veggie oil/biodiesel?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I wouldn't touch it. It might have contamination or water. How much 'free diesel' are we talking? Who are you getting it from?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Don't use this stuff. Diesel gets stale alot faster than regular gasoline does. Its your car do, what floats your boat.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, thats just it, I dont know anything about it, thats why I asked, thanks, to bad though, this guy had 100 gallons

·
Registered
918 Posts
You cannot store either gas or diesel for very long. Diesel can grow algae, attract water, contain rust, and clog everything up real good. Some people say that it will be acceptable if you put some additives and filter it a bit. Then add 50% old, 50% new. However, I wouldn't even bother with it at all to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those never even crossed my mind, I live in Southern California, I never knew what kerosene was until I joined the forum....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts