Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone familiar with the Oklahoma City area recommend a garage for non-warranty MB service? Have heard of Star Cars on Britton Road, but what about Allstar Motors in Edmond? Anyone? TIA.

·
Registered
1982 500 SEC
2 Posts
My parents and I have used Mercedes Benz of OKC (on Broadway downtown) for year and have always had excellent service. Recently I used Star on Britton (next to the post office) and had a very good experience with them. There is a good place in Norman also, but that would be a drive. I would NOT recomend every sending a car to BRI imports (if they still do mercedes) my mother had a really horrible experience with them.

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I wound up having Star Cars service my 420 SEL a couple of times since I got it and have been pleased with the results. Their shop prices are reasonable and they're friendly. One of the owners, Gerry Underkoffler, was a technician and later shop foreman with MB OKC for 18 years.

Still curious about Allstar Cars and Silverstar Imports, both of Edmond. They're much closer to my house. Anyone?

·
Where's my auto-leveling?
'09 ML350, '03 E320, '99 E320 4Matic, '98 C280
3,390 Posts
Jim Dandy - 11/8/2003 10:32 PM

Can anyone familiar with the Oklahoma City area recommend a garage for non-warranty MB service? Have heard of Star Cars on Britton Road, but what about Allstar Motors in Edmond? Anyone? TIA.
Jim,

I drive from Norman to have both my '87 300 SDL, and '03 ML 350 serviced as Mercedes Benz of OKC. I highly recommend them. Kirk Dresser is my Service Adviser and he will take great care of you.

So if you ever think about switching it is worth the drive in my opinion.

Andy

·
Registered
420 SEL, XK8, CLK 430 AMG
12 Posts
I agree. If you can handle the cost over on Broadway I would highly recommend them. I take both my XK8 and 420 to those guys and have had no complaints. There is a shop South of the river in Norman on Highway 9, the guy is good but really slow.

·
3,390 Posts
kingmullet - 1/27/2004 2:25 PM

I agree. If you can handle the cost over on Broadway I would highly recommend them. I take both my XK8 and 420 to those guys and have had no complaints. There is a shop South of the river in Norman on Highway 9, the guy is good but really slow.
Kingmullet,

Where in Norman are you located?

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer service? Noooooooooo.

Yeah, M-B OKC might be good, but as long as there are quality independent shops with close affiliations to MBUSA, I don't really see the need to drive all of the way to the dealership, or subsidize their espresso bar, manicurist, and shoe-shine guy via more expensive labor costs. Yeah, I've met Kirk Dresser and he is a nice guy, but that's not enough to get me to drive down there (the shop on Britton Road is already far enough and they're nice guys, too).

Since I originally began this thread, I've had the opportunity to have my car serviced by Star Cars on several occasions and have been more than happy every time. This has included a purchase inspection, oil change, coolant flush, fuel line leak repair, monovalve replacement, transmission fluid and filter replacement, brake job, and timing chain replacement. Barring a falling out, I'll stay with these guys, but I'd still like to hear some comments about Allstar Cars and Silverstar Imports, both of Edmond.

·
Registered
98 E320
30 Posts
I've used StarTech on Santa Fe just South of the Canadian River several times and had excellent results each time. Fast, friendly, affordable work. My first experience was for repair to the sunroof in my 98 E320. MB dealership in OKC said it would cost $1,200 to repair the unit since it wasn't covered by my StarMark warranty. Thinking I could possibly save 100 or $$s, I took it to StarTech. Total repair came to $168! It seems the dealership wanted me to replace the entire unit when the only problem was some guide rails that needed to be shimmed.

Give 'em a try:
Star Tech
2109 S Santa Fe Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73109-6042
Phone: (405) 235-5900

·
Registered
93 600SEL 91 420SEL
95 Posts
Unfortunately, I had a very poor service experience with MBOKC immediately subsequent to the purchase of my MB.

I have had consistently good experiences with Star Cars on Britton Road. Friendly, knowledgeable service from Gary, and reasonable prices.

·
Registered
'85 Celica Supra
9 Posts
The rear main seal in my 380SL is leaking. Does everyone still recomend the shop on Britton Road?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but since mechanics change shops and places hire new help, I'd like to know which shops in OKC are still good.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Star Cars: Still Recommended

*BW*BuddyJ - 9/8/2005 11:41 AM

The rear main seal in my 380SL is leaking. Does everyone still recomend the shop on Britton Road?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but since mechanics change shops and places hire new help, I'd like to know which shops in OKC are still good.

Thanks,
Peter
You've probably no doubt had your car repaired by now, but I would still recommend Star Cars to anyone.

·
Registered
98 SL500
516 Posts
What is the cost of the A and B service at star cars vs mbokc. I have yet to have our sl500 serviced since we purchased it. It had its B service 1000 miles before we picked it up and we have only put 2500 on it since.

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
---

snowbilt - 2/6/2006 6:01 PM

What is the cost of the A and B service at star cars vs mbokc. I have yet to have our sl500 serviced since we purchased it. It had its B service 1000 miles before we picked it up and we have only put 2500 on it since.
That I don't know. However, the things I've paid to have done (timing chains and A/C service in particular) have been cheaper at Star Cars than at MB OKC. I seem to recall Star Cars' labor rate being around $20 an hour lass than MB OKC's.

·
3,390 Posts
RE: ---

Jim Dandy - 2/11/2006 4:46 AM

That I don't know. However, the things I've paid to have done (timing chains and A/C service in particular) have been cheaper at Star Cars than at MB OKC. I seem to recall Star Cars' labor rate being around $20 an hour lass than MB OKC's.
The thing that you are all forgetting is any repair/service made by an MB dealer is guaranteed for a year and any MD dealer in the country will honor the warranty. That cannot be said for local shops. So if you are doing any travel the dealership is the way to to go. They have technicians trained on the newest equipment and they have all the special tools to do the repair right the first time.

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not true...............

AndyFracica - 2/11/2006 11:42 AM

The thing that you are all forgetting is any repair/service made by an MB dealer is guaranteed for a year
As is the work done by many independent shops -- like Star Cars.

and any MD dealer in the country will honor the warranty. That cannot be said for local shops.
Not really a factor if the work was performed correctly in the first place. Even so, reputable shops will have no problem reimbursing any out of pocket expenses incurred to correct their work.

So if you are doing any travel the dealership is the way to to go.
Not true. See previous.

They have technicians trained on the newest equipment and they have all the special tools to do the repair right the first time.
As do most reputable independent repair shops.

With the exception of getting a wheel alignment, I see no good reason for getting service at MB OKC over any of the repair shops mentioned. Unless you happen to work or live in downtown OKC.

·
3,390 Posts
RE: Not true...............

Jim Dandy - 2/11/2006 1:15 PM

Not really a factor if the work was performed correctly in the first place. Even so, reputable shops will have no problem reimbursing any out of pocket expenses incurred to correct their work.
If you are driving several hundred miles away from home or thousand miles and that new part that your indie shop installed you are out of luck. You will have to try to find a local shop or take it to the dealer and pay for the replacement part. If the dealer installed the part they will replace it under warranty and you will be on your way.

Yes your indie shop may reimburse you but that is an awful bother.

For me MB OKC is the way to go. I don't mind the drive and I just plan around my schedule. If I can't make it I have them come down and get it.

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Again, not true...............

AndyFracica - 2/11/2006 1:39 PM

If you are driving several hundred miles away from home or thousand miles and that new part that your indie shop installed you are out of luck.
Not unlike the same thing happening when a dealer did the installation.

You will have to try to find a local shop or take it to the dealer and pay for the replacement part. If the dealer installed the part they will replace it under warranty and you will be on your way.
If you are close to a dealer. You seem to think M-B dealers are as common as Starbucks. Christ, just look at Oklahoma, we only have two. If you're banking on one of the M-B dealerships here helping, better hope you can plan your trouble close to OKC or Tulsa. In short, your theory doesn't hold much water. Or promise.

Yes your indie shop may reimburse you but that is an awful bother.
Adult solutions to adult problems are seldom bothersome. Since I don't live payday to payday, the possibility of me having to temporarily pay for a repair just isn't an issue. Or a bother.

For me MB OKC is the way to go. I don't mind the drive and I just plan around my schedule. If I can't make it I have them come down and get it.
Again, this is no advantage over a responsible independent shop. I don't suppose you work for M-B OKC or Bob Howard, do you?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts