Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'01 E430 Sport
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What seemed so trivial when I removed them has turned into a nightmare. I'm a complete idiot and embarrassed to seek help here on how these go back in. Looking at Greg's pictorial was no help as the photo is not high enough resolution.

If someone could look at the attached pic and briefly explain where the spring is supposed to travel I'd appreciate it VERY much. Ugh! :surrender:

Attachments

·
Registered
'01 E430 Sport
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lesson learned.

Thank you Shaun. My thumbs are sore from trying to contort the darn spring into place but some vice grips did the trick.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Looking at Greg's pictorial was no help as the photo is not high enough resolution.
You work and work and work on a forum and then get slammed for your efforts...by a pirate, no less. I'll probably have to walk the plank.;)

Okay, seriously, please feel free to take a good picture of the spring -- properly placed, of course -- and add it to the DIY brakesthread. That way someone else won't have that issue.

And if I may offer a word of advice? Not just for you, but for all casual DIYers? In the future, if you have a job that's on both sides of the car, don't do both at once. Just do one, and that way if you get stuck with it, you can reference the other side. Then you have one done correctly and you can reference it if you get stuck the second time around.

I learned that lesson the first time I took apart the rear drum brakes on a 60s era GM. 32 springs (well, it seemed like it!) and none of them the same, plus the parking brake lever and actuator, the anchor pins, the locks... Now I could nearly do it in my sleep, but then it was different. :D

Glad you got it fixed. Now go keelhaul someone, willya? ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts