Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So , I ordered the brake components I've been trying to decide on for a while. For those that don't know I also have a 1999 ML430 which I bought new back in 1998. She (her name is MiLlie) has been an incredibly reliable vehicle and I have amassed over 412,000 on her ! So much of maintenance is addressing issues quickly before they lead to more serious issues and of course, changing the oil according to the FSS display. With the miles I have accumulated, I change it every 10,000 miles and might bump that up to every 6,000 miles. ALWAYS Mobil 1 0W40 and ALWAYS do it yourself . It could not be any easier..

So the new-to-me ML55 is in need of some new brakes and I fell back to one of my favorite suppliers, autohauosaz located in Phoenix. I had changed out brakes on the 430 about six months ago and was VERY impressed with Zimmerman Z-cast rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. NO squeal and not much dust like some of the softer pads.

Anyway, I very much wanted to go with the exact same setup on the 55 and a fellow named Brad helped me out this morning and I went with the exact same setup.
Zimmerman rotors are getting hard to find, but autohaus still carries them and todays order was less than I paid before !

So ...total parts came to $393.16 and that included the Akebonos front and rear, Zimmermans front and rear and the four wear sensors. That is less than $100.00 for each wheel with state-of-the-art components and free delivery via UPS. Now I just need to find a tire shop with some employees standing around to install it all !!

I think last time I used Kaufmann and labor was about $200.00 for the whole setup. That is QUITE A BIT LESS than if you just pull into a tire shop to get a quote. Parts are where they make a huge profit and you have eliminated all that markup.... Just saying !!

I'll throw them a bone and let them flush/change the brake fluid at the same time, and it will be a done deal !!

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,043 Posts
Good choices for the shoes. :)
Labour cost for the shoe swap. That's a steal vs. what we would pay up here.
Keep us posted with the spiffy new shoes.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
740 Posts
Good choices for the shoes. :)
Labour cost for the shoe swap. That's a steal vs. what we would pay up here.
Keep us posted with the spiffy new shoes.
You like the Akebonos pads?
Going to need to change pads on the 350 soon, so looking for recommendations.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wally...the akebonos are GREAT pads. Very quiet with no stuttering and they wear evenly and leave virtually no dust on the wheels.
Of course, it is highly recommended that your use new rotors also with the new pads.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
740 Posts
wally...the akebonos are GREAT pads. Very quiet with no stuttering and they wear evenly and leave virtually no dust on the wheels.
Of course, it is highly recommended that your use new rotors also with the new pads.
Just curious why new rotors vs having the current turned if still with in specs?

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably could have had the existing rotors resurfaced and saved a few bucks, but for safety reasons, I elected just to replace them altogether.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, got the new brakes squared away today. Local shop (Mavis Discount Tire) did a great job installing the new pads and rotors for $100.00 per axle and I also had them do a brake fluid flush for 80.00. Old fluid was in great condition (no sign of any water) but it was original fluid with 70,000 miles on entire brake system.

Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I will be going out to bed the brakes to insure good longevity and excellent feel. Here is the tutorial I followed last time on my 99 ML430 and they have been great since the install with NO squeal or pull. Here's the great article on the procedure.

Bedding in Brakes, Zeckhausen Racing

Soo.......$400.00 for all the parts and 289.00 for the install of all the hardware and full flush of the brake system adds up to $689.00 and some change for a TOTAL brake change parts and labor using top shelf components. I call that a hell of a deal !!........

·
Registered
01 ML55
255 Posts
I think if you're going to spend the money then might as well have MB do the bleeding. That way they can use SDS and activate the BAS pump to flush that as well.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
art arev.....I have never done a brake job. I know there is not a lot to them, but I have a limited knowledge of the installation. I'm perfectly fine paying a professional to install properly and not overcharge. I do feel that dealerships and many independents overcharge customers , primarily on parts.

The most recent brake job I had completed, I supplied all the parts and I was charged $100.00 for each axle. Usually if you catch a tire store on a slow morning, they would rather have some work than none.

I would actually enjoy learning the brake pad and rotor installation procedure. Something to think about and maybe help out some other owners in the Atlanta are.....

Today, just finished removing all the wheels and giving them a thorough cleaning. Spent about an hour on each wheel but they came out great ! 2003 ML55 so there was a lot of old weight residue and stains on the interior of the wheel. Razor blades, adhesive remover, scrub pads and lots of elbow grease brought them back to excellent condition.

These ML55 AMG wheels are absolutely beautiful ! Excellent quality and beautiful finish, once cleaned up. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1965 404, 1980 MB4/94, 1981 416 Doka, 1983 240D, 1999 E55, 2000 ML55
604 Posts
She (her name is MiLlie) has been an incredibly reliable vehicle and I have amassed over 412,000 on her !
Wow that's awesome how many miles you've racked up! You and everyone else here should apply for your Mercedes high mileage awards! Do it and post here when you receive them!

Also thanks for posting the details and brands you used because it is a good reminder that I need to do the brakes on my ML55!

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
740 Posts
Springer

If you can get the wheels off to clean them you can handle a brake job! Once the wheel is off your half way there as it is. But granted the total price you paid is not bad. I talked to folks that paid that for one axle, for a standard job.

The most technical a job gets is deciding if the rotors need turning, otherwise its bolt on bolt off sort of job.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Springer

If you can get the wheels off to clean them you can handle a brake job! Once the wheel is off your half way there as it is. But granted the total price you paid is not bad. I talked to folks that paid that for one axle, for a standard job.

The most technical a job gets is deciding if the rotors need turning, otherwise its bolt on bolt off sort of job.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, I know. I've watched countless you tube videos on the procedure and its looks fairly easy. Like so much else, once you do it a few times...its easy !

Might see if I can find a friend who has done a few of these. Would feel better if I had a W163 mechanic walk me through the first one. Is there any difference between the fronts/rears other than rear has parking brake to mess with...

Think I've got most of the tools....

BTW..already have two of the mileage badges....next one up is the equilivent of 466,000 miles (or close to that )

Hope the old girl makes it. See absolutely no reason why she won't other than some numb nut might hit me and total the ML out. She ain't worth much but she is bulletproof...!!

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
740 Posts
Yep I the biggest difference is the parking bake. I hardly use mine, most places I park are pretty flat. Regardless not on the ml but just did rear on my gmc. I was wondering if it was going to be a pain getting the disc off and on over the mini shoes. It was no issue at all. Besides even if you use them parking brake shoes don’t wear much.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, don't use mine much either. Usually just shifting to park on fairly level terrain.

It does come in handy, if you get out in the woods or have to park on a steep slope, either facing up or down. In neutral, fully engage the parking brake and then shift to park. This will keep her from rolling and locking into one of the transmission pawls.

I feel sorry for transmissions in the San Francisco area !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts