Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So , I ordered the brake components I've been trying to decide on for a while. For those that don't know I also have a 1999 ML430 which I bought new back in 1998. She (her name is MiLlie) has been an incredibly reliable vehicle and I have amassed over 412,000 on her ! So much of maintenance is addressing issues quickly before they lead to more serious issues and of course, changing the oil according to the FSS display. With the miles I have accumulated, I change it every 10,000 miles and might bump that up to every 6,000 miles. ALWAYS Mobil 1 0W40 and ALWAYS do it yourself . It could not be any easier..

So the new-to-me ML55 is in need of some new brakes and I fell back to one of my favorite suppliers, autohauosaz located in Phoenix. I had changed out brakes on the 430 about six months ago and was VERY impressed with Zimmerman Z-cast rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. NO squeal and not much dust like some of the softer pads.

Anyway, I very much wanted to go with the exact same setup on the 55 and a fellow named Brad helped me out this morning and I went with the exact same setup.
Zimmerman rotors are getting hard to find, but autohaus still carries them and todays order was less than I paid before !

So ...total parts came to $393.16 and that included the Akebonos front and rear, Zimmermans front and rear and the four wear sensors. That is less than $100.00 for each wheel with state-of-the-art components and free delivery via UPS. Now I just need to find a tire shop with some employees standing around to install it all !!

I think last time I used Kaufmann and labor was about $200.00 for the whole setup. That is QUITE A BIT LESS than if you just pull into a tire shop to get a quote. Parts are where they make a huge profit and you have eliminated all that markup.... Just saying !!

I'll throw them a bone and let them flush/change the brake fluid at the same time, and it will be a done deal !!

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,732 Posts
Good choices for the shoes. :)
Labour cost for the shoe swap. That's a steal vs. what we would pay up here.
Keep us posted with the spiffy new shoes.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
574 Posts
Good choices for the shoes. :)
Labour cost for the shoe swap. That's a steal vs. what we would pay up here.
Keep us posted with the spiffy new shoes.
You like the Akebonos pads?
Going to need to change pads on the 350 soon, so looking for recommendations.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wally...the akebonos are GREAT pads. Very quiet with no stuttering and they wear evenly and leave virtually no dust on the wheels.
Of course, it is highly recommended that your use new rotors also with the new pads.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
574 Posts
wally...the akebonos are GREAT pads. Very quiet with no stuttering and they wear evenly and leave virtually no dust on the wheels.
Of course, it is highly recommended that your use new rotors also with the new pads.
Just curious why new rotors vs having the current turned if still with in specs?

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably could have had the existing rotors resurfaced and saved a few bucks, but for safety reasons, I elected just to replace them altogether.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts