Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '93 500SEL has been vandalised for the SIXTH time! Came back out from a movie and the hood star was broken off and the 500SEL was gone as well as the trunk star. I'm going to replace the hood star and the trunk star but my baby is going to go debadged from now on!

Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
282 Posts
You have 500sel which is one of the range topping car of its series so I don't think debadging will suit it. Sadly no other option.

·
Registered
s500coupe
21 Posts
Only lost 1hood star off my old w108, pissed me off, the little turds that took it will have know use for it, I feel for you mate! Not good

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
You don't think that this might get some thugs to actually look into your car for items JUST because its a Mercedes, like we've all declared not a lot of people know about cars. Also you might as well just keep it debadged, these Thugs probably hang around there.

·
Registered
1995 s500, 2004 s500, 1991 190e
880 Posts
When I first bought my car the hood star was missing. I really didn't want to spend $60 just for something that I knew would probably get stolen again but of course I ended up buying another star. There was no other option for me, without it the car looks like its from the ghetto and the flat emblem for me doesn't have the same feeling as looking across the hood while I'm driving and seeing the star. It hasn't gotten touched since. I would spend it again if somebody broke it or stole it but 6 times is a lot. I would try to modify the hood star with a thread cutting tool or something so I could detach it when I want. My brother wanted to rig up something so when I lock the car the battery runs a current through a heavy gauge wire that connects to the star but I said that's to sketchy and complicated so we didn't experiment with that. (although it would be funny the next time some tool tries to take it you could record it with a dash cam or something to see the results)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Add some security system decals here and there. Maybe on the rear window, the small side glass on the rear doors and somewhere on the front windshield. Nothing too big but enough for someone to take notice. This can often fool someone into thinking you have a sensitive alarm system so they may not risk it. This isn't guaranteed to work but it's better than nothing.

A car cover would be another option but it's not very practical to use in public and still not a guarantee.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
. I would spend it again if somebody broke it or stole it but 6 times is a lot. I would try to modify the hood star with a thread cutting tool or something do I could detach it when I want.
Oh also I saw a thread where someone was so pissed off they were gonna put some carvings into the hood star so the thugs fingers got cut badly, but either way they probably use some type of tool to take it off.

·
Registered
1992 600SEL and 1990 ford taurus GL
270 Posts
my hood emblem is my FAVORITE part of the entire car! :bowdown: i go to massive extent to make sure it stays on the car. haha when i take it to school i literally park about five blocks away where there is only a nice little neighbor hood, where i know a cop lives. so i park in front of his house :) i always park SUPER far away to make sure nothing will ever happen. my friends will contribute to having to walk miles every time i drive

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
so far ive only had someone key my car, or it could have been me driving too close to a bush, in my city its rare for people to own a car like mine to they don't touch it because they think i'm a drug dealer or something -____- good for me i guess.

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking for one that you can detach the hood star when you leave the car. I know they made them for the W126, but I don't know if they make them for the W140.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
I'm looking for one that you can detach the hood star when you leave the car. I know they made them for the W126, but I don't know if they make them for the W140.
they have it in germany for about $120-200. it seems a little expensive for a hood emblem to me. They kept on stealing my hood emblem so i got pissed off and put a flat hood emblem.

also if they only steal badges thats okay. they have stolen both of my mirrors twice(at least they are kind enough not to damage the wire and leave the mirror covers) they have stolen both rear cats once the hood emblem was a common one. once they took my corner lights.

important advice dont fold your mirror because they jack those in a heartbeat. unless you do what i did this last time ;) i damaged the head of the bolts so they can't take it off.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,642 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W220 S500 (08/99 build)
173 Posts
they have it in germany for about $120-200. it seems a little expensive for a hood emblem to me. They kept on stealing my hood emblem so i got pissed off and put a flat hood emblem.

also if they only steal badges thats okay. they have stolen both of my mirrors twice(at least they are kind enough not to damage the wire and leave the mirror covers) they have stolen both rear cats once the hood emblem was a common one. once they took my corner lights.

important advice dont fold your mirror because they jack those in a heartbeat. unless you do what i did this last time ;) i damaged the head of the bolts so they can't take it off.
can you explain why not to fold your mirror? And where are you in California where it's so bad?!

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
can you explain why not to fold your mirror? And where are you in California where it's so bad?!
i live in the valley but they jack stuff from my college's parking lot and once when i parked a street down.

now for the why not to fold your mirror. it is only 3 screws that hold the mirror in place that are exposed when in the folded position. they stole both of mine in about 5minutes while went inside to pick up my wallet and pick up a bottle of water and smoke a cigarette, literally took me 5 minutes and both of my mirror were gone.

·
Registered
2000 W220 S500 (08/99 build)
173 Posts
now for the why not to fold your mirror. it is only 3 screws that hold the mirror in place that are exposed when in the folded position. they stole both of mine in about 5minutes while went inside to pick up my wallet and pick up a bottle of water and smoke a cigarette, literally took me 5 minutes and both of my mirror were gone.
dang, I didn't know that..now I'm gonna be super careful, although not much stuff gets jacked from cars around where I live.

·
Premium Member
'08 BMW 750LI, '10 Ford Expedition
387 Posts
When I was growing up, our neighbors ordered a Cadillac ('94+/-) that had the hood ornament connected to the horn. So, when you pulled the ornament, the horn would honk. Only one I have ever seen then or since. Then again, I don't make it a habit to pull strange hood ornaments either...................

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
When I was growing up, our neighbors ordered a Cadillac ('94+/-) that had the hood ornament connected to the horn. So, when you pulled the ornament, the horn would honk. Only one I have ever seen then or since. Then again, I don't make it a habit to pull strange hood ornaments either...................
that's a great idea i might just use it lol
there is a spare security wire at the back of the radio since i dont have the stock head unit i can extend that to the hood ornament.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
dang, I didn't know that..now I'm gonna be super careful, although not much stuff gets jacked from cars around where I live.
i have not seen my w140 in a week. but its in car storage at the shop. but i am going to call my cousin and see if it is repaired yet. the people that jack stuff are a--holes. worst part is i have to valet park the car when i get it back and that is the place the were they strike.

the cheapest thing they stole off my car was the flat hood emblem grommets(not the emblem but the $2 plastic clips)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts