Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine were kinda squeaky, so I stuck the white lithium grease nozzle in there and let er' rip. Made it worse. So... then I tried nice ol' thick black grease smeared in the hole. No effect. Is there an ancient Chinese secret?

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
No secret...
I always use a silicon based spray...works well. Especially when it gets colder.
The squeaky noise means that 2 metal surfaces are touching, the silicon builds up a layer between those 2.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,121 Posts
Now that he got thick grease in there, silicone spray may not be able to get in.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Now that he got thick grease in there, silicone spray may not be able to get in.
Never had any problem with it, every time i used it it lasted at least a full year.
With all the cars i had in the past.............my experience.
The solution of a spray can will get in deeper then any grease would, even when using a small paint brush.

Or you would have to make the grease liquid and pour it in but
afterwards when the grease cools you would not be able to open the door anymore:D

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
When they are too niosy and they even click... you dont... you just replace them...

door check is really easy to bend, because it has a cage that pivots 2 balls, once the cage is out of balance (bent) the 2 balls start rolling in other places than their designated runway, and they start making this noise...

greasing as a preventive service is a good idea, but once noisy, grease will cover the problem temporarely... you need them replaced eventually...

good new they are cheap... 30 bucks max a pop...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Come on Bayhas, we are talking about a '99 SL here. Those door stops are not at their end yet!
Try another thing before replacing it first please.

·
10,293 Posts
Come on Bayhas, we are talking about a '99 SL here. Those door stops are not at their end yet!
Try another thing before replacing it first please.
60 dollars every 11 years? not too bad if you ask me...

by all means though... try some thick grease... if nothing... get few months more of service out of them...

·
10,293 Posts
I am not offended :D

I was agreeing with you to try geasing them... that usually helps for some time...

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did use silicone spray into the opening and it made it much worse, then I went to the white lithium, and then the black heavier grease, all to no avail.

·
10,293 Posts
try some yellow or red wheel bearing, if that doesnt do it... order new door checks...

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Do a search in this forum and you will find overwhelming advice to not grease them. One member even removed them and completely degreased them and they haven't made a noise for over a year.

Using a lube usually makes them worse from most threads here. Clean them or replace them has been the successful trend.

I think the info is even in the blue stickies under check strap.

·
Registered
2005 ml350 2001 e55 amg
144 Posts
I had to replace mine a few months ago, on my 98'. I tried greasing them with anything and everything, it didn't help. Replacing them was the only fix. When I got the old one out I realized that both of the "ears" that hold the front part of the strap to the door facing had broken off. The only thing holding it to the door was one very loose bolt. That's what was causing the popping noise. If yours are popping you definately need to replace them. They're really not that hard to replace if your a diy're. Just take your time. It's really the only permanent fix.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
113 Posts
Please advise me how to replace it as my driver side door is quite squeaky. I guess that the door card will need to be removed. How can I do that? I am afraid breaking any plastic clips. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ml350 2001 e55 amg
144 Posts
Here is also a video of it being done. This is for an older model car but most of the bolts are still in about the same places. Once you get the door panel off it's really simple to replace.

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
If there's a rattle, it means it must be replaced.

Try and spray the hinges as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts