Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the term "4matic" mean? I assume it's in reference to an automatic transmission? My C300 has option #427 7-Speed Automatic Transmission, do I have the 4matic?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
What does the term "4matic" mean? I assume it's in reference to an automatic transmission? My C300 has option #427 7-Speed Automatic Transmission, do I have the 4matic?
4-Matic does not refer to the tranny but the fact that the car is driven from all 4 wheels (trying to avoid the discussion between AWD and 4WD).

If you car is a 204.081, then it is 4-Matic, if it is a 204.054, then it is a RWD C300.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4-Matic does not refer to the tranny but the fact that the car is driven from all 4 wheels (trying to avoid the discussion between AWD and 4WD).

If you car is a 204.081, then it is 4-Matic, if it is a 204.054, then it is a RWD C300.

Thank You, now I understand.

I recall Jeep used the 4-Matic term in the late 70's with their Cherokee vehicles.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
question, does the 4Matic C300's drive on all 4 wheels at all times or just when it senses a slip?
Current 4-Matics are continuously driven, no clutch to connect the front wheels when necessary. ABS brakes take care of the differential lock function (both front to rear and at each axle. I believe it was like this already on the W210.

Edited: a minor clarification/correction to the differentials, the middle one at the transmission has a multidisk clutch but it is loaded with a fixed spring, introducing a differential lock for up to 50 Nm torque, the clutch is never actively driven to be fully engaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts