Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not even sumer yet, and I'm thinking about setting things up for the winter...especially since this summer most of our cars are going to the body shop for their regular check ups, and I'd like to make next winter as rust free as possible.

I've read about how some of our European members in the colder climate countries have the undercarriages of their cars oiled before every winter. What does this entail? What kind of oil is used, how is it applied, and exactly where does it get applied?

Alternately, what other forms of undercarriage protection are available readily to us here stateside? I remember seeing Rusty Jones stickers on my dad's Audis when I was very young... is there an equivalent to such treatments marketed today?

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
Hey Serge,

I just use rubberized undercoating spray as needed, but I've heard of others using these products:

Waxoyl Hardwax
Waxoyl Corrosion Prevention with Waxoyl 120-4 and Hardwax. Clean. Protect. Preserve.

Ziebart Undercoating
Car Protection - Car Rust Protection - Penetr-Oil - Ziebart Undercoating - Ziebart Rust Protection - Underbody Sound Barrier - Uniglass, Car Rust Protection, Auto Rust Protection, Auto Coating, Tire Noise, Auto Vibration

I've heard that the treatments that inject stuff into the rockers and doors is NOT good. It seals the body drains and allows for severe corrosion. The undercoating stuff is fine though.:)

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks again, Chad...

I think I'll go with the Waxoyl, as there are two application centers in MA, and the reviews for the product are great. As soon as the cars go for their yearly check at the body shop (I hate living in the Northeast and driving cars I care about during the winter), I think I'll have them all Waxoyled. The wagon might get new wings, so I might have them Waxoyl under them, and on the underside of the painted wings once they're cured... I do believe I've gone crazy with car care over here, but one you put so much of your own time and sweat into them, it's hard not to. (Plus, I don't have all those nasty oil leaks coating my undercarriage in the wagon anymore, so I better do something about alternate forms of rust-proofing before this winter...)

I'll post back here sometime in September or October and let you all know how things turn out.

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
I do believe I've gone crazy with car care over here, but one you put so much of your own time and sweat into them, it's hard not to.
LOL:D I agree ... just last night I had my wagon out in the rain for the first time since I got it back on the road. It has no water leaks anymore since I replaced all the seals and cleared the drains, yet I still felt panicked until I had it back in my garage.:D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car has a self oiling system from the engine oil :}
I really love that Mercedes installed that self oiling system in my car... but with the price of oil being what it is, it finally made economic sense to fix the leaks. That, and you can't really on anyone else around here to pay any attention to any vehicle...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts