Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560sl
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of motor oild should i use on my 560? it has 120000 mileson it.
also a good friend said to add oil ever so often because the engine eats it up? is this true?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,764 Posts
what kind of motor oild should i use on my 560? it has 120000 mileson it.
also a good friend said to add oil ever so often because the engine eats it up? is this true?
Check your owner's manual for type and quantity of oil required.
Do you realize you have just opened yourself up for a billion opinions? Talking about oil is like talking religion.

In any event....the dipstick is your friend. Check it regularly and it will tell you when to add oil.

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
This is an apple and orange question.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
American:D
But I use Sunoco

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Add oil when it gets to the add mark. Do not continually top it up to the full mark. Every Mercedes engine will seek it's own level, some near full, some half way and others a little lower.

Some use synthetic. Some dino. Do a search and enjoy the next couple of weeks of reading oil threads.

Len

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
In my opinion all motor oils are the same, just use a quality brand of the correct weight. I came to the view that all motor oil is the same after adding about a quart a week to my bike(burns lots of oil) and I was buying Harley Davidson stuff for the buell at 5.50 a quart. Hell I figured, so I just go for whatever oil is discounted after getting valvoline for 2.00$ b/c it was discontinued at pimp boys. This last change I used 50/50 valvoline/lucas oil.

Just choose a brand you like and decide how ofter you want to change the stuff to decide synthetic vs. non-synthetic. I use a semi-synth and change the stuff about 4-5000miles depending of type of driving- highway = more miles per change, city = less miles.

Good luck choosing a good oil.

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
178 Posts
I'm glad you posted this thread because I've been meaning to ask about synthetic but never felt it was worth a whole thread of its own. My 1980 450SL has 118k miles. Are there any issues either particular to this car, or particular to an engine of this age and mileage, in switching to synthetic?

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Shell synthetic 5w-40 5 qtr container is selling for $17 at Walmart. Pretty cheap compares to Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I didn't see your location in your profile, and the engine mileage isn't mentioned, so how about a shot in the dark? If you are going to drive the car under high ambient temp. I would suggest a 20/50. Our northern members might suggest something lighter but it really depends on the normal/average driving conditions. I like to keep the same weight oil regardless of season. Old superstition? Maybe.
BTW: +/- 9 US quarts with filter.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,764 Posts
Let us know.
There certainly isn't enough info about this subject.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts