Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300D
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the under dash trim below the steering wheel and discovered the insulation was soaked with engine oil. Would this be from the oil pressure gauge? Is there any other oil source under or behind the dash? The ignition switch is dry and I cannot find a leak. This would be a MAJOR headache to clean if it gets worse. Anyone have oil dripping on their shoes while driving?

·
Registered
1981 280e
113 Posts
The only reason for the oil would be the pressure gauge .
It has a line running from the engine , you will need to
remove the instrument cluster to get at the connection at
the rear of the oil gauge.[:)]

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
This is also caused by oil getting back to the ignition switch assy. from the shutoff valve on the injection pump (if your car is diesel).

·
Registered
1982 300 CDT
22 Posts
Hey- If you ever want to get rid of that CDT, let me know. I have one identical in appearance... only 3 years older and 125K more miles. I'd love to have twins.

Dave

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
heya 82!

where do you get your parts locally? i have no idear where to get anything for this car! well, besides autozone, and thats no good![:p]

·
Registered
1980 300D
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read another post about the vacuum shutoff valve pumping motor oil through the vacuum lines and dumping under the dash. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
DOUGLAS MARTIN - 3/29/2005 4:44 PM

I read another post about the vacuum shutoff valve pumping motor oil through the vacuum lines and dumping under the dash. Anyone else experience this?
Yea, quite a few people. I'm dealing with it now. Gonna change the valve tomorrow if the weather holds out and I can get home early enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts