Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did an oil change in my 1985 300TD Wagon and I noticed that the oil turns dark within a few miles of driving. The technician assured me that in diesel engines the occurence is normal and he sees it all the time. He suggested the engine flush liquid which apparently cleans junk in the engine (done when the old oil is drained and before new oil is poured in). Please tell me that he is right. What would cause this to happen? I thought that oil changes color over time but in my 260E W124 that happens over 4000-5000 miles from the oil change and the oil still remains lighter color then.

P.S. It was -10 this morning with -30 wind chill and after two glow cycles and not being pluged in she started on me the first try!!!

Igor Zeljic, Minneapolis.

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Black oil

Flushing the engine will not help much. it is a feature of all deisel engines.
It is caused by the temperatures within the engine. Deisel engines have much higher temperatures within the combustion chamber during the ignition phaze, because the explosion is caused by compression as opposed to a spark.
The quality of the oil you use is far more improtant than the colour it is.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
This is completely normal. After you change your oil, almost imedately it will turn black....

This is completely normal. After you change your oil, almost imedately it will turn black. This is due to like spanners said the temperature and also the blow-by that occuors in diesels. Even in new diesels there is a small amount of blow-by. Change your oil every 3,000 miles and you'll be fine. Use a diesel oil if possible (Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo, etc.) Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: This is completely normal. After you change your oil, almost imedately it will turn black.

This is completely normal. After you change your oil, almost imedately it will turn black. This is due to like spanners said the temperature and also the blow-by that occuors in diesels. Even in new diesels there is a small amount of blow-by. Change your oil every 3,000 miles and you'll be fine. Use a diesel oil if possible (Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo, etc.) Good luck!
[8)]What is best Engine oil, and Transmission oil for an 240D with 130,000 miles. Engine Oil:15w40 or 20w40,, and how is Mobil 0w40??? Transmission oil??

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
I would recomend a multi-weight diesel oil, like 15W-40. I use Shell Rottella and My son u...

I would recomend a multi-weight diesel oil, like 15W-40. I use Shell Rottella and My son uses Mobil Delvac. These are both excellent and as far as we can tell one is as good as the other. These are both Non-synthetic, and I would recomend using a non-synthetic in your car. My son used the Delvac 1 (Synthetic Delvac) and his car (1976 240D - 115,xxx mi) burned more then it usually does with it. Not a huge amount but especially with the price difference and the fact that we change the oil every 3,000 miles anyway, I don't see the justification of synthetic in this case.

For your situation - Use Mobil Delvac 1500 super, Shella Rotella, or Chevron Delo. These are all diesel specific oils and are set wieghts. You can get them at most autopart stores, i.e.: Pepboys, autozone, National Autoparts, etc.

For transmition fluid - I would use the factory recomended fliud. Everyone I ask about that says to use the factory fliud, the transmitions were designed to run on that stuff and it works well with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.