Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'85 300D Turbodiesel
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold a friend of mine my '85 300D (turbo) and now there is oil shooting out of the dipstick. The engine still runs strong and there doesn't seem to be any loss of power. I'd like to help him resolve the issue so any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
1983 240D auto..soon to run a generator in the country.1984 300D turbo 4 spd
149 Posts
I'd make sure the PCV was clear. The intake has an "L" shaped hose connected to a what I'm going to call a filter. This is connected to a hose going to the top on the valve cover. I've posted a thread (with no response) about replacing the filter but logic suggests the crankcase would have less pressure if the excess was pulled towards the intake. I believe the hose at the bottom of this "filter" guides oil drawn as mist from the valve cover back down towards the bottom of the block. Maybe you'll get an answer to your question from someone now.

·
Registered
'85 300D Turbodiesel
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect blockage there as well but haven't had a chance to check it out. Hopefully that is the problem as that would be an easy fix. Thanks.

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
What do you mean by 'shooting'? Is there a chance that your friend added oil and put too much in?

If there's enough pressure in the crankcase to shoot oil out of the dipstick tube with a normal oil level, you should be seeing other problems.

Does the condition stop when you remove the cap on the valve cover?

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
If the oil level is correct, I would check for 'blow-by'. While the engine is running, remove the oil fill cap on the valve cover. You are checking for the amount of air (or smoke) that blows out of the fill hole. If everything is correct, you should get very little air coming out.

Other questions to ask:
Are you burning any oil?
Are you getting any oil back into your air filter?
Has your friend ever used Either or Starting Fluid to start the engine?

Chuck

·
Registered
1962 220S(200d engine),1970 Cadillac Fleetwood 75,1984 500SL
442 Posts
got the same prob on my coupe if i pull out the dipstick while its running...and i do know i get a good amount of blow by out the top hose on the valve cover but wouldnt that mean the line is free and clear iff i see that...or is it just a major prob with blow by that causes oil to rush up the dipstick?

·
Registered
83 300CD, 07 ML320 CDI, 04 WRX, 86 300D (totalled by my neighbor), 85 300D (sold)
876 Posts
If the oil level is correct, I would check for 'blow-by'. While the engine is running, remove the oil fill cap on the valve cover. You are checking for the amount of air (or smoke) that blows out of the fill hole. If everything is correct, you should get very little air coming out.
Engine cold or when the engine has warmed up enough? Coz mine varies.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
There is no PCV on an om617. Sounds like he needs a new oring on the dipstick and has lots of blowby.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts