Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VW GTI
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I just purchased a nice 300E 4matic with 129K on it. And, its time for the first oil change since I've owned it. I would like to use Mobil 1 but I'm not sure what grade to use. Does anyone have any recommendations, especially for the summer? I will also be using a HANNS oil filter. Thanks for any help. [:)]

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
15W 50 is suitable for all M103 and M104 engined cars.
Also, 15W 50 is recommended for M119 motors.
Local dealership actually uses Kendall 20W 50
I prefer a true synthetic Mobil 1
Whatever you do, do not use 0 or 5W 30. This is too thin and probably belongs in a four cylinder honda or other japanese car.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
I use Amsoil. Companies with fleet vehicles use this oil and go anywhere between 10,000 miles to 25,000 miles between changes! They do replace the oil filter however every 10k miles. My private MB mechanic is a rep for them and i know several other mechanics who swear by this stuff! Same price as mobil one too!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
If your engine is tight, I say make the switch to Amsoil or M1, their additive packages are quite differnet but each performs admirably. My personal rules when it comes to oil changes:

Conventional w/ primarily highway driving, very little city or stop and go: Change every 3K
Conventional w/ primarily city or a lot of stop and go: Change every 2-2500,
M1/Amsoil, prim. highway, 5K
M1/Amsoil, prim City etc, 4K

there are a Lot of people who say I'm wasting my $$ chaging my synthetic so often but I look at it as Cheap insurance... Besides, the car's I have taken apart running 7-10K on oil changes Always show more sludge then those that are changed frequently.

As for which brand of conventional I have had Excellent results using Rotella 15-40 year round. Does a Very nice job of cleaning out motors as well (added detergents being a diesel oil..).

Watch out for the transfer case on your $ Matic..they're a pricey item that often fails around 100ish K.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
I use Castrol GTX 20W-50 conv. and change it every 5k km or so. The more important issue, though, which nobody mentioned, is to stick to one type of oil rather than changing brands frequently.

Hope this helps,
Shady

G

·
0 Posts
stick to one type of oil rather than changing brands frequently
Good advice.
If it's always had synthetic then stick to that (0W 40 is fine).
If it's always had dino oil then don't switch to fully synthetic.

·
Registered
85 300SD, 95 E320
341 Posts
cap'n Jasper - 4/23/2005 4:38 PM

Good advice.

Why did you guys say the above?

What would happen if you switched between different brands? changed from dino to synthetic, or vice versa?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
124via126 - 4/23/2005 11:14 PM

cap'n Jasper - 4/23/2005 4:38 PM

Good advice.

Why did you guys say the above?

What would happen if you switched between different brands? changed from dino to synthetic, or vice versa?
Well, I don't subscribe to the if you run X brand of type don't change... I've switched brands w/o issue...you're dealing w/ essentially the same types of oil, just slightly different additive packages.

As far as switching b/w dino and synthetic, I've swithced high mileage cars (100,000+) to synthetic w/o issue, as well as switched cars back to Dino after 3X,XXX amount of miles after switching to syn. due to seals giving up w/ age.

YMMV, but this is what I have experienced with both my personal cars as well as those that come into my shop.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1994 MB E320
197 Posts
I've heard that switching from regular oil to synthetic could be harmful to your engine. That switching to the synthetic oil can start to cause oil leaks. Is this true?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
No, I can't on any level see how it would be harmful. Oil that meets the minimum certifications will do one way or the other.

The whole swith to syn. and get leaks was de-bunked Long ago..I read a rather lengthy TSB Audi put out in the 90's stating that synthetic oil will Not cause leaks, and in my experience this has been true.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1994 MB E320
197 Posts
So would you recommend on my next oil change (about 81,000 miles) to switch from Castrol GTX to Mobil 1? I've always wanted to use M1 but was scared because of what I heard about switching.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
If you're car doesn't leak you have nothing to worry about. If it does leak, it will leak a bit more as synthetic flows better/easier then conventional oil.

I've switched motors @ 160,000 miles w/o issue in my cars and know people that have made the switch at even higher mileage.

Jonathan

·
Registered
94 E420
132 Posts
I second the thought that swtcing to and from dino and synthetic is not an issue.

I am a firm believer in synthestic oil. I have swithced many high mileage cars over with no problems.

I like Mobil 1 and Red Line oils. My daily driver's get the Mobil 1. My car that I beat on and that sees occasional track time gets Red Line. I have been thinking about switching all of them to Red Line.

Colorado

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
I third that its ok to switch to synthetic as ive never had an issue on any of my MB, fleet of trucks. Go for it guys! I agree that if you have a leak, these oils will drip more due to their lubricating properties being better than conventional oils.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts