Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi looking at buying a 2001 SLK 320 the current owner runs premium gas but regular oil. Will this cause a problem? If not should I switch to synthetic oil like the manual says? Excited it seems like a great car. Mint condition, thanks for your help. Second question it has 66K mile does an MB require the timing belt to be changed like other vehicles?

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,415 Posts
I do not think using dinosaur oil is a significant problem. Synthetic oil provides better lubrication. So, there may be some minor engine wear. You must change the oil more frequently with dino. oil. If the previous owner changed the oil and filter at the proper intervals, you should be fine. Yes, I would change over to a good synthetic oil such as Mobile 1 0W-40 European Car Formula.

I hope you buy and enjoy the SLK.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,216 Posts
I do not think using dinosaur oil is a significant problem. Synthetic oil provides better lubrication. So, there may be some minor engine wear. You must change the oil more frequently with dino. oil. If the previous owner changed the oil and filter at the proper intervals, you should be fine. Yes, I would change over to a good synthetic oil such as Mobile 1 0W-40 European Car Formula.

I hope you buy and enjoy the SLK.
I agree.

FYI, I purchased my 2001 SLK230 new in October 2000 and received a letter from MB dated March 23, 2001, stating to not use conventional oil and to switch to Synthetic oil in 2000 and 2001 models. They suggested Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol and Shell. I only use Mobil 1 0W-40 European.

I received a follow up letter dated September, 2002 concerning a class action lawsuit due to conventional oil causing engine damage.

If you are interested in seeing these letters in full, let me know.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I would be interested in seeing the letter slk230Red if you wouldn't mind, I am new so not sure how to do that though?

·
Registered
'01 SLK230 & '97 328IS
121 Posts
... I received a follow up letter dated September, 2002 concerning a class action lawsuit due to conventional oil causing engine damage....
Unless the car has VERY VERY low miles, this would be reason enough for me to continue looking.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I would be interested in seeing the letter slk230Red if you wouldn't mind, I am new so not sure how to do that though?
I took a picture of the 2 letters. If you want a copy, PM me an email address and I'll email them to you.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hey TLD, could you read the files I emailed to you?

Also, here is a thread from 2008 that discusses this topic.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1374750-oil-change-regular-oil-vs-sythentic.html

Here is another thought. I always change my Mobil1 0-40w European Synthetic oil and filter every 5,000 miles or twice during the FSS service range. When doing this, I always drain mine from the oil pan and replace the copper crush washer. I know that most garages/DIY's use the suction pump but I prefer to see what's coming out, and it gives me an opportunity to look underneath for any potential problems.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
The M112 engine (3.2 liter V6) has very narrow oil passages and non-approved oils can cause sludge build-up that restrict the passages. Use Mobil M1 0w-40. You can then change as per FSS and actually run cheaper than with conventional oils.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts