Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1992 400e with a 8cyl 4.2 engine, just hit the 190K miles, what would be the best oil i can use in an oil change, thnaks
thnaks all

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
i have a 1992 400e with a 8cyl 4.2 engine, just hit the 190K miles, what would be the best oil i can use in an oil change, thnaks
thnaks all
You will get as many opinions as there are users of this Board!

Read the manual and select a quality oil. If you really want an informed opinion, call the nearest Benz dealer and ask what bulk oil they use.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice, my mechanic told me Mobil One 0W-30 with SuperSyn, anyone tried it? the question is being asked because the Qt. is 6.99 a pop, any one knows how many Qt. does it take on an oil change? thanks

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
DON'T use the Mobil 1 0W-30, that's one of the few Mobil 1 oils MB doesn't approve of. I don't know where you're located since you didn't put that info in your profile, so I don't know exactly which grade of oil to recommend to you. Check this list out so you can find a good oil. Mercedes-Benz Engine Oil Recommendations

·
Registered
570 Posts
don't change to synthetic

I thought the consensus opinion was that you should not switch to synthetic if you have been using traditional oil for years in an older Benz. I have read many times that the car will develop leaks with the synthetic change.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Synthetic doesn't cause leaks but it does find its way out of seals and gaskets that are on the verge of leaking with conventional oil.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think tuttebenne is right.
I use syntetic then regular and right now I use again syntetic. 94 E 420 with 132000 miles on it. No leaks. Thanks GOD!!! Regular oil I try to chenge every 3000 miles and syntetic 7000 miles. Ones I whent 9000 with Mobile syntetic and no problems but I do not think it is right. For those cars 6-7000 miles to be safe.I wuld use only regular on my car but I just do not have time to chenge it so often.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
When you say best, do you mean technically the best, or best bang for the buck? The best technical oil will be a synthetic type, such as 5W-40 Mobil, Shell, or Amsoil.

I'm pretty sure back then regular 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils were approved for use. You could use any name brand 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, or 15W-40 - depending on your climate - and it would work fine in your engine with oil changed every 3-5K. This is the best bang for the buck without compromising your engine.

Mercedes recommends 0W-40 for a variety of reasons. One is that they use it, and the reason they use it is so they don't have to stock a boatload of different oils at the dealerships. You can tailor your usage to use the best oil for your type of climate, driving style, and oil maintenance habits. There's no need to stick with 0W-40.

·
Registered
289 Posts
do people still change there oils every 3000k with synthetic ?? in europe i read that they recommend oil change every 10000k with synthetic i used really thick oil for hole year when i drained it still had the same sticky thick feel to it but it had hard time starting in the morning do to the thick oil so now i went with mobil 1 15-40 ppl actually has tested synthetic oils with single change for 25k they took the engine apart and it was in the same shape when they started they did another test with the truck for 495k and the results ware the same as in the car no damage of any kind so 3000k change is a waste of money if u ask me

·
Registered
235 Posts
I run Mobil 1 5W-40 in my 400E and change every 6 months.

Elf oil is now available here and there in the US, but be prepared for sticker shock. I can't see where it's any better than M1.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Kestas yes yes thats what im talking about i do the same and after all those miles when u drain it the oil still has the original quality

1 - 15 of 15 Posts