Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 81 240D and like it very much for it takes me anywhere and been driving it everyday and putting about 200 miles/day. I just noticed that its oil pressure is going down to 1.5 on the oil gauge when it stop on a traffic light or when it's idling. This was'nt normal for ever since i had it, it is always pegged to 3. Is this normal?? Or just a sign of normal wear and tear for it is already put 250,000 miles since I have it. I changed the engine oil and oil filter as soon as I noticed the sudden change but the problem still persist. TIA for your advise. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
two things<br> <br> check the transmition fluid.........<br> and<br> maybe increase the idle speed or check the idle adjust knob<br> <br> let me know how u go<br> <br> louis

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is perfectly normal. When the engine is cold, the pressure is always pegged at 3, regardless of RPM. As the engine warms up, the idle pressure will gradually lower to about 1.5 bar. However, when you are driving (RPM over ~1000) it should ALWAYS be pegged at 3!<br> <br> You probably never noticed before that the hot idle pressure was 1.5, but relax, it's fine...<br> <br> :)<br> <br> -Dave M.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dave is right,<br> on my 1st 300d when the engine was cold at start up, it shot right up to 3. i never saw it go below.<br> <br> my new one though sits at about just under 2 at idle in park.<br> <br> its normal but only when it starts to fall around the 1 mark and below you should have it checked.<br> <br> plus if u are crusing along and its not at three, or u arew maintaining the same speed and it is dipping to about (just over) 2 1/2 also then check it out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr. Louis Miles,<br> Thanks for your advise. I did increased the idle speed and the oil pressure is at 2. My 240D is a 4 speed standard.<br> Mario

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.