Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when I start my car the oil pressure gauge has a tendency to wait a little bit to pop up. Sometimes it shows pressure immediately other times it might take 30-45 seconds. I'm assuming this is simply a problem with the gauge itself as the engine runs reasonably well. However, because lack of pressure would have such serious consequences, figured I might as well check.

Are the oil pumps on 617s known to fail? Is this something I should be worried about?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,274 Posts
Pop the hood, and check the vacuum connectors. You can trace the vac gauge line from there. Perhaps the line is not all the way plugged in. Looks like a big yellow plastic plug in front of the fuse box.

Please make sure to re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page' It explains how to search topics. The search box accepts two words.
Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you have a mechanical gauge, there is a restrictor in the line from the engine that is designed to prevent the gauge from getting a pulse of high oil pressure, and this often causes the slight delay you are experiencing.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Lately when I start my car the oil pressure gauge has a tendency to wait a little bit to pop up. Sometimes it shows pressure immediately other times it might take 30-45 seconds. I'm assuming this is simply a problem with the gauge itself as the engine runs reasonably well. However, because lack of pressure would have such serious consequences, figured I might as well check.

Are the oil pumps on 617s known to fail? Is this something I should be worried about?
I replaced the oil pressure sender when I experience this problem and it fixed it right up. I was having nightmares of changing out the oil pump from my spare engine until then. The problem with the oil pressure came on fairly quick and I'd even see real low pressure at idle. I doubt that these pumps have many problems.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about that Teutone. I get a little trigger happy with the posts at times. I went ahead and searched oil pressure and read through the other threads. But I'm thinking that my problem is different. The issue isn't that it reads a low pressure and takes a while to get to 3 BAR as the filter fills with oil, it's that tells me there is no pressure at all consistently for an extended period. When it finally does give me a reading it pops up instantly from 0 to right where it should be, just a skosh above 2 BAR.

I don't think it's a mechanical gauge because when I fixed my rheostat I was very worried about getting oil everywhere, and was relieved to see that it was an electrical connection.

I'm thinking it's being caused by something trivial like you're describing Azimuth. Certainly happy to hear someone confirm my suspicion. If you could tell me where the oil pressure sender is located and anything else I might need to know about the repair, I'd be forever in your debt.

Thanks,
Bill

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,274 Posts
Out of my mind, leave a message.
My mistake, I put up the file on the economy gauge, dooh.
I once read a post about someone removing the lower oil pan, and improving flow to the oil pump by getting rid of all the gunk around the inlet.

These should help:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Sorry about that Teutone. I get a little trigger happy with the posts at times. I went ahead and searched oil pressure and read through the other threads. But I'm thinking that my problem is different. The issue isn't that it reads a low pressure and takes a while to get to 3 BAR as the filter fills with oil, it's that tells me there is no pressure at all consistently for an extended period. When it finally does give me a reading it pops up instantly from 0 to right where it should be, just a skosh above 2 BAR.

I don't think it's a mechanical gauge because when I fixed my rheostat I was very worried about getting oil everywhere, and was relieved to see that it was an electrical connection.

I'm thinking it's being caused by something trivial like you're describing Azimuth. Certainly happy to hear someone confirm my suspicion. If you could tell me where the oil pressure sender is located and anything else I might need to know about the repair, I'd be forever in your debt.

Thanks,
Bill
Hey Bill! Sounds just like a sender is what you need. Standing on the driver's side, look at the very end of the engine to the right of the oil filter housing. It sit screwed in horizontaly to the head IIRC and has a single wire plugged onto it. Got it on ebay from these guys with fast shipping and good price: eBay Motors: New OEM MERCEDES Benz OIL PRESSURE Switch Fits Most MBs (item 110216683100 end time Jan-30-08 11:09:08 PST)

Here's Autohaus for comparison:Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

You will lose a bit of oil when you change it out so be prepared to make a mess on the ground with a few ounces of oil. Good luck and tell us how it goes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts