Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
MB 1964, 220sb, W111 ---- MB 1997, E200, W210 ---- MB 2012 C180 W204
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Had an engine overhaul recently on my '64 220s. Now, hoping to have a new born engine I realize excessive blue smoke through the exhaust. The oil pressure indicator seems normal at cold start but when hot goes down to 1,5 approximately and car runs pretty weak. Oil level is OK.
The engine has also little power and turns off while breaking.
Can anyone tell me where to check? I also changed the oil pump but no difference.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1964 Mercedes 220Sb
103 Posts
I'd say the oil is thicker cold and when it warms up it starts leaking into a cylinder.
You either have a valve leaking oil into a cylinder, or the guy's who rebuilt the engine didn't get a gasket in place very good and it's letting some oil slip into the cylinder.

It doesn't take much of a leak to drop the pressure and blue smoke out of the exhaust is almost 99% of the time burning oil. Meaning oil is getting into the cylinder somehow.
Guess you lucky it's easy to get at the heads on these cars.

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
This an Oh-$hit moment.

How were the cylinder walls honed, how were the rings installed, bearing clearances, valve guides, stem seals. oil pressure relief valve?

Are there any strange noises, ?

Thi$ i$ a difficult remote diagnosi$.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys.
You're right this is a really OH $hit moment.
Now, most of the technical things were done correctly as far as i know. There is no strange noises and the engine seems to run very smooth. However, one guy told me that there might be a deposit of oils (from old engine) in the muffler and that's causing the blue smoke. Does it make sense?
What kind of checking procedures can I do?
Am still in the Oh $hit moment...
Your advise are most welcomed guys...

Attachments

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
How long has the motor run?
Yes the residual tailpipe unburnt oil from an old motor can cause smoking on a new motor.
Scary but a 30 minute run should clear it.
what weight oil is in the motor now.
Carbs may be a problem, too much fuel.

·
Registered
2004 S500. 2000 CLK430 Cab, 1999 C43 AMG. 1999 S500. 1999 S320. 1977 230 4 spd, 1972 280SEL 4.5
186 Posts
You really need to run the following checks to determine what is going on, the symptoms are too vague to diagnose your issue:
o Run a compression check on all cylinders. Record the results. The variance should not be more than 5% between all readings. Readings should be above 125 PSI.
o If the reading on one or two cylinders is less than 100 PSI for example, than squirt oil in that cylinder through the spark plug hole and run the check again. If the reading goes up, than you have a cylinder / rings issue.
o If the reading stays the same than you have a valve problem. It could be your valve adjustment as too tight, or the valve job was not done right.

These 3 points take care of diagnosing the condition of the engine core.

Regarding the smoke it can be caused by a broken ring, heavily scratched cylinder, cracked piston, valve guide, etc.

Who rebuilt the engine??? Do you have a warranty on the work??? Why not take it back to them???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.
The engine has now run for over 90 miles and according to BOSTOSH suggestion it means that residual tailpipe unburnt oil should be burnt by now.
Maybe that's clear.
The checking procedures from UNIMOGED seem to be very realistic and educative.
Really appreciate guys!
Will come back with the outcome very soon.
Any additional advises are very welcomed.
AZ

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
There are several thicknesses of head gaskets depending on the work done to the top of the head. Do you know if you have anti-freeze in your oil?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts