Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450 SLC
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke the plastic oil pressure hose near the engine fitting. Should the hose be replace with the OEM plastic hose or could the hose be replace with an auto parts over the counter vaccum hose?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I broke the plastic oil pressure hose near the engine fitting. Should the hose be replace with the OEM plastic hose or could the hose be replace with an auto parts over the counter vaccum hose?
Thanks
I wouldn't do it. That hose runs into the cabin of the car and to your instrument cluster. I would only replace it with the proper MB oil pressure hose.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
I agree with Scott. It is one piece with fittings moded to both ends.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
Though I agree with Scott & Rowdie, if you decide to go ahead with a patch, consider the pressure involved and don't use vacuum line. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1973 450 SLC
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My plastic line only goes across the front of the engine to the other side of the PS pump. There the plastic line is connected to a metal line with a cloth covered rubber hose. The EPC list the plastic hose length as 660mm.
A vaccum hose is made stronger to prevent collapse.
The other issue is the plastic hose looks like it was heated and slipped over the banjo fittting. Which is different from the EPC picture...there the bango fitting has a female end and the plastic pipe goes into the banjo fitting.

It would be great to find a metal pipe connected to a proper size banjo fitting!

Thanks for your comments.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,345 Posts
Now I am totally confused (my normal state). A picture might help because I was thinking the line for the oil pressure gauge. It goes from the back of the left head to the gauge.
We are talking about a '73, correct?

·
Registered
1973 450 SLC
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am the one that is confused!!!!!!:confused:
Yes it is a 1973 450 SLC.
Let me restate the question. There is a black plastic hose that goes across the front on the engine from an area above and to the left of the damper(facing the engine) to the right side of the power steering pump. Where it is connected by a flexible hose to a metal pipe. The banjo fitting has a braid so it appears that the plastic is heated and forced over the braid. Heating that plastic would seem to be an iffy prospect? With the banjo braid it would seem easier to replace with a rubber(generic word) hose with a suitable clamp?
What are your thoughts?

epc part number is 000 987 27 27
I print screen the EPC and saved it to a .doc but it exceeds the forum limit.It was reduced to 3 inches and still exceeds the limit???

Thanks for you help!!!!

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,345 Posts
I looked at it today and understand what you are talikng about. I think a plastic line of the proper size would be fine. I traced the metal line till it ran under the steering box. Still don't know what it is.

·
Registered
1973 450 SLC
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rowdie,
Thanks for looking...

Service manual 18-005 number 15
Is it the pressure relief valve in the main oil duct? Excess oil pressure over 5 bars is vented to the oil pan but why go outside and back in to the engine....

number 16 is the oil pressure for the oil cooler

and there is a oil pressure relief valve in the filter housing.

Appreciate the help!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts