Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my oil pressure light has been on for a while...i finally want to fix the problem..i think its the oil pressure switch...or may be a wiring issue...does anyone know exactly where it is...i have a 99 c280 v6.....i been searching the forums a while still couldnt find info on the location of the pressure switch....could some one please help...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well, what ever triggers that light...i want to know what component is involved....im pretty sure its just a oil pressure switch, that thinks the oil level is low because the oil pressure is low, but who knows....anyways this light has been on and off intermittently, my water pump just went out...i might as well fix both...the light is been like this for a couple years.....im pretty sure its not low oil pressure...i wanna see if a wiring issue or the sensors...but i dont know where these sensors are located at, whether it be a level sensor or just a pressure a switch....pictures and input would be appreciated....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well damn...how did you find that....i swear up and down i was searching and clicking for a while...but it still doesn't give a exact location of the switch.....what about the level sensor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont have the sport edition, my gauges have no indication of how low the levels are, like it says in the posted link.....im guessing my car is equipped with a oil pressure switch only?

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
"well damn...how did you find that" I did that post a while back, I do recall some things.
Some of the benz's actually had one at or near the oil filter area in the past. As far as I know the c280 is similiar with the level sensor on the driver's side oil pan like the c230. The electrical plug may be loose or cracked wiring or a leaking sensor causing the issue.
Let some oil out or change oil while your in there, 2 bolts, a o-ring and your done. B

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the oil pan i got is one of those cast iron oil pans, or what ever there called.....the ones with grids.....i see in the picture what looks to be a drain bolt for a oil pan....and my car is no where close to looking like in the picture in the link....i got a v6 2.8 liter engine...not the straight 6....so its a level sensor for sure then?......i took some crud away from an area near the oil filter...and it looks to be 2 bolts holding something in, but im not sure what it is....theres no wire comming out of it, so i doubt its a oil pressure switch.....iono this is frustrating because i want to do my water pump, but i wanna save on shipping by getting both the water pump and sensor or switch...

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,749 Posts
the oil pan i got is one of those cast iron oil pans, or what ever there called.....the ones with grids.....i see in the picture what looks to be a drain bolt for a oil pan....and my car is no where close to looking like in the picture in the link....i got a v6 2.8 liter engine...not the straight 6....so its a level sensor for sure then?......i took some crud away from an area near the oil filter...and it looks to be 2 bolts holding something in, but im not sure what it is....theres no wire comming out of it, so i doubt its a oil pressure switch.....iono this is frustrating because i want to do my water pump, but i wanna save on shipping by getting both the water pump and sensor or switch...
Oil level sensor is mounted inside the engine. Connector is under alternator. To replace you need to remove lower oil pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just the exact picture i was looking for thanks!....ill check in and let you know what i find out about the sensor....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i gave it shot today but i had no luck....i took off all the bolts, made sure of it too....but the oil pan wouldn't budge...i tried to wedge a screw driver between the oil pan and block, but no luck....is there any tips on removing the oil pan?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,749 Posts
i gave it shot today but i had no luck....i took off all the bolts, made sure of it too....but the oil pan wouldn't budge...i tried to wedge a screw driver between the oil pan and block, but no luck....is there any tips on removing the oil pan?
On left side below a/c compressor lower pan has tab that you use to pry it loose. Make sure you have proper adhesive sealant before you tackle this job. MB number 003 989 98 20 10 (Loctite 5970).

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aright, thanks again for the helpful information, i'll check in sometime on my next oil change...im glad i listen to my gut feeling and gave up....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Were are you getting the pics from? Is there a site I can search similar to the realoem.com that I can find my car model and the respectives graphics?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts