Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 190e 2.6L, 114,000 miles on the engine

This afternoon when I was driving to work I noticed that my oil pressure gauge was fluctuating up and down pretty sporradically and bouncing all over the place. Then when I was at idle at a stop light, it was reading 0, and if I revved it to about 2000rpms, the pressure would go up to about 1, but bounced around a bit. Then as I was driving it would go up to 3, and then bounce around. I'm not hearing any clunking, the temperature is within normal range, and there aren't any bad smells.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and prior to this, the pressure gauge usually rested around 1-2 at idle, and when driving anywhere from 2-3 depending on RPM's. I recently replaced the oil about 300 miles ago, and I checked the level and it reads about half way between the two red markers on the dipstick, so that looks okay.

What's also weird is that even with the oil level being at a normal state, the low oil light on my cluster is on, and before I changed the oild it was doing that too, even with the oil topped off.

So, I am wondering if the problem is that my oil pump is about to crap out, or if my oil pressure sensor has crapped out, or is it something else? Please help, I don't want to have to replace this engine again! (This is the 2nd engine in this car -- had to put a used one in right after I bought the car because it threw a rod).

n0alpha

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6
99 Posts
Have you checked all of your fuses? Make sure to do a tactile check (not just visual). If that doesn't help, I'd recommend using a gauge and checking the oil pressure yourself (or through a shop). This will tell you if your oil pressure sender is going bad. I'm guessing your oil level sensor is also going bad.

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I checked with my trusty Mercedes mechanic who works on my car when a problem is out of my skill level, and he said it's just the oil pressure sensor has a bunch of dirt/junk in it from 114,000 miles of use, which is causing the weird readings, and that this is a common problem. He told me to poke a needle in the hole and clean it out for a temporary solution, but that it's time to replace that part which can be had for about $89 at the dealership.

Independently, when calling my mechanic and the dealership, they both said the oil pumps on these engines just don't fail -- they're rock solid. In fact, the guy at the dealership had never heard of a pump needing to be replaced on a 190e. He recommended I start the engine, open the oil fill cap, and if oil sprays everywhere, my pump is fine. Sure enough, I did that and I got splattered with oil :)

Such a relief that I don't need to r/r the engine and replace the oil pump!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts