Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes-Benz S500 4 Dr Sedan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... looking for a few tips on what can be done here. Also, I'm having some kind of high idle issue. Sometimes, when I start my vehicle, the idle will be high. When I give the car gas, it will drop back down to normal. It sometimes does it after I've been driving and then stop as well. What could that be?

Last question. After a cold start, my trans doesn't shift quickly into first. After it shifts initially when the car warms up though, it's fine.

I appreciate any ideas you all may have on any of these issues.

1991 300E.

~B.

·
Registered
W124
5,169 Posts
... looking for a few tips on what can be done here. Also, I'm having some kind of high idle issue. Sometimes, when I start my vehicle, the idle will be high. When I give the car gas, it will drop back down to normal. It sometimes does it after I've been driving and then stop as well. What could that be?

Last question. After a cold start, my trans doesn't shift quickly into first. After it shifts initially when the car warms up though, it's fine.

I appreciate any ideas you all may have on any of these issues.

1991 300E.

~B.
Many of these problems have been covered multiple times and are represented by threads in the archives. Just use the search feature to find them. One tip I can offer related to your gauge issues is to clean the fuse tips for all the bullet type fuses in the fusebox.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes-Benz S500 4 Dr Sedan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll keep searching. I changed all of the fuses and that didn't solve anything. Thanks for responding.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
The pegged oil pressure gauge is a sure sign of a failed oil pressure sending unit. Easy to change out. Located on the filter block, below your oil filter, firewall side. Check your OVP relay. If it's an original, it will have a single 10 amp blade fuse. Check the fuse. If it's a replacement, it will have 2, 10 amp fuses. OVP relays are a known failure point and should be replaced as a general rule. Buy only an OEM MB unit or KAE(ler) unit.

With the motor running, check you voltage at the battery. You need at least 13.4 volts. If less than that, your voltage regulator is on the way out. Another easy item to replace. Located on the back side of the alternator and held in place with 2 phillips screws. Inexpensive from several on-line sites or about $40 at NAPA.

Good Luck,

Jayare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts