Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
154 Posts
Just a silly question: Is the sealing compound applied on both lower & upper oil pan/ or just in one of them I guess the lower oil pan.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML55 2002, ML63 2007
4,123 Posts
If you have removed & installing the pan the "proper"(WIS) way then on the pan. If you are removing /installing just by lifting the engine its easier(less messy) to apply it on the block.

·
Premium Member
'07 ML350, '05 ML350SE, '04 ML350, '01 ML55, '05 SLK350, '04 SLK200, '76 280SL
2,123 Posts
Can we reuse the bolts, if not does anyone has the part number.
The answer to your second question can be found here. You can get the part number for every part in your car with just a few clicks :

Mercedes Auto Parts

·
Registered
2002 e320 4matic Wagon
870 Posts
I've got a small leak from the oil pan seal--maybe a quart every 4000 miles. Is there a chance it will suddenly get worse and be catastrophic? I just don't have much time right now to take care of it.

·
Registered
2004 ML500,Sport; 2014 ML550; 2009 ACURA TSX
887 Posts
I've got a small leak from the oil pan seal--maybe a quart every 4000 miles. Is there a chance it will suddenly get worse and be catastrophic? I just don't have much time right now to take care of it.
A quart for every 4K miles is a lot. Are you sure it's a leak, not oil burn. If it's a leak, your under chassis must be full of oil slick. Fixing the oil pan seal is not difficult, however, it's very messy and time consuming since you have to figure a way to jack the engine about 4" to get clearance to remove the pan. Clean oil sealant and apply new sealant to the pan. While you have the pan out, you might as well replace the oil level sensor, Eventually it will go bad. Common sense is to fix the leak before too late......

Here are few pictures that I have while fixing the oil level sensor last week. Essentially the same procedure since the oil sensor is inside the oil sump which require pan removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 ML350
62 Posts
Bringing this post back from the dead - time to replace my oil level sensor and need to remove the oil pan.
I read somewhere on an ML350 there is a place to pry the pan a bit easier without damaging it. Is this true?
Assuming it also helps to warm up the engine a bit before beginning to pry.

Also wondering if any RTV sealant will work to reinstall the pan or if there is something particular about the MB version. I've got a tube of some Hondabond (a well rated brand) lying around that could come in handy.

·
Registered
2004 ML350
62 Posts
Thanks - but I'm a bit surprised the engine needs to be raised, fan clutch removed, etc to do this. Thought I saw a couple of people on YouTube who did not, at least not with the ML350.

Have you been down this road before?

·
Outstanding Contributor
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,268 Posts
There is not enough clearance for the pan to come down, hence the raising of the eng.

Post the Youtube video you are referring to.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,421 Posts
I know, right ?

Last year I though my oil level sensor died and found that video.

I was all set to do it but discovered oil was from something else.

But yeah that looks like a timesaver for sure.

Will you please update us how you fare on this ?

Maybe Youtube super-stardom awaits if you film an improved version, LOL....

David in Texas

Reactions: BlackbenzNH

·
Registered
2004 ML350
62 Posts
So about to try this - how difficult is it to remove the oil pan? Could not find a particular location that is meant for prying more so than any other part of the pan.

·
Registered
2004 ML350
62 Posts
Well, I found out there is a spot on the left side of the pan meant for prying the pan off. However, it turns out the oil level sensor replacement won't be necessary after all.

From an old post on a different forum, I learned that sometimes the flickering oil level indicator is cured by ensuring that all O-rings on the oil filter rod are replaced in between changes. Sometimes those can dry up, causing inaccurate pressure readings and the oil light to turn on. I always replace the O-rings while changing the filter, but admittedly it's been a while since I've done a change (8k miles, and more than a year).

I was going to change the oil during the repair anyway, so I did that before attempting to remove the pan. After a fresh Mann filter with new O-rings, voila - problem solved. Drove it around a bit and so far the oil level light stays dark.

I'll probably keep the brand new sensor since I didn't pay much for it (genuine OEM, MB) and I figure he original sensor will eventually fail.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
4,630 Posts
BlackbenzNH,
Cheers, for reporting back on your situation and the link provided.
This will be helpful to other members who wish to check the o-rings first and still have the option, if needed, to tackle the oil sensor in the pan.

·
Registered
2004 ML350
62 Posts
Oh, phooey - the light came back on after another drive. It flickers on and off versus a steady on, but I think the sensor may have to be replaced after all. Glad I did not start the return process. Welp, will have to find a time to get this done and report back. wish me luck!

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,464 Posts
Well, I found out there is a spot on the left side of the pan meant for prying the pan off. However, it turns out the oil level sensor replacement won't be necessary after all.

From an old post on a different forum, I learned that sometimes the flickering oil level indicator is cured by ensuring that all O-rings on the oil filter rod are replaced in between changes. Sometimes those can dry up, causing inaccurate pressure readings and the oil light to turn on. I always replace the O-rings while changing the filter, but admittedly it's been a while since I've done a change (8k miles, and more than a year).

I was going to change the oil during the repair anyway, so I did that before attempting to remove the pan. After a fresh Mann filter with new O-rings, voila - problem solved. Drove it around a bit and so far the oil level light stays dark.

I'll probably keep the brand new sensor since I didn't pay much for it (genuine OEM, MB) and I figure he original sensor will eventually fail.
M112/M113 has no oil pressure sensor or switch. System has no way of knowing if there is oil pressure loss.

·
Registered
2004 ML350
62 Posts
I posted the wrong link before - corrected. The poster there said:

"I noticed this TWICE after oil changes I performed on my 98' mL320 in which both times I did NOT replace the seals on the filter shaft when replacing filter. When these rubber seals (approx the diameter of a penny) start to dry out they lose their compression and oil subsequently becomes trapped and released, over and over, in the top of the filter shaft. Thus the erratic level readings.

Lesson: Dont dismiss the rubber washers when changing your filter. Wonder how often this is happens at your local Jiffy Lube???"

Are you suggesting those O-rings have zero effect on the operation of the oil level sensor?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts