Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320 White; 2017 C300 White.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I read enough threats on replacing the Oil Level Sensor for the faulty oil light.

My concern is how to remove the oil pan, everyone said that I have to lift the engine. I searched but couldn't find any pictures to show me how. Can anyone show me some pictures (I am a believer one picture worth thousand words)? Can I lift the engine with my 2 Ton Floor Jack and get the job done?

Today, I looked at the oil pan, it covered with oil, so I also have some linking. My 2002 ML320 has 90K on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You don't have to lift the engine as the oil pan is easily accessible from the bottom. However, you have to clean it very well and use the MB sealant to reseal it. Its like caulk that comes in a small white tube.

·
Outstanding Contributor
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,274 Posts
Unless you are absolutely sure, you should spray the entire area with Brake Parts Cleaner and find out exactly where the leak is coming from. It could be something above the oil pan that is leaking and it gives you the impression that the pan is leaking.

If you are sure it is the oil pan, here are the procedures.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you read the post, he is replacing the oil level sensor. Its not a leak problem... If your instrument cluster keeps saying that oil level is low but its not, then the sensor is gone and needs replacing.

·
Registered
2002 ML320 White; 2017 C300 White.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've learned that the engine must be lifted to get to the oil level sensor for this job. I am passing this one, it doesn't seem an easy diy. Thank you everyone.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,379 Posts
I'm now totally confused about this topic, after looking through my WIS.

It's true that the book says that the engine must be 'lifted' to remove the lower pan, but I cannot see the reason for that. Perhaps an expert can explain?

Ref Bretts comment above: Isn't the oil pump inside the lower pan?

Further, to remove the oil level sensor on my CLK with a similar engine M112, you do not even remove the pan. You drain the oil, and then remove the sensor from above the pan. The important thing is to renew the O ring seal.

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,648 Posts
Further, to remove the oil level sensor on my CLK with a similar engine M112, you do not even remove the pan. You drain the oil, and then remove the sensor from above the pan. The important thing is to renew the O ring seal.
You are correct that in CLK, you do not need to remove the oil pan (lucky you). But in MLs, oil sensor has bolts that can only be removed from inside (to put a stop on the oil sensor theft).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,379 Posts
But in MLs, oil sensor has bolts that can only be removed from inside (to put a stop on the oil sensor theft).
Thanks for that information - I wasn't aware of that.

However, I'm still puzzled about what is stopping the ML oil pan from being removed without raising the engine?

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430 and 2003 ML55
2,026 Posts
You are correct that in CLK, you do not need to remove the oil pan (lucky you). But in MLs, oil sensor has bolts that can only be removed from inside (to put a stop on the oil sensor theft).
Just curious...whu would anyone want to steal an oil sensor ?

·
Outstanding Contributor
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,274 Posts
Thanks for that information - I wasn't aware of that.

However, I'm still puzzled about what is stopping the ML oil pan from being removed without raising the engine?
keyhole, the oil pan (red) is partially covered by the engine cradle/cross member (blue) and the sway bar, making it impossible to clear the oil pump.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML55 2002, ML63 2007
4,123 Posts
Oil level sensor (Oil level contactor) A 006 153 27 28
Seal ring A 023 997 43 48

·
Registered
02 ML 55 (SOLD: 98 & 02 ML320)
1,309 Posts
i have todo this on my beat soon. already have the "new" used sensor from ebay.

i do not have an engine hoist so i will have to find a way to raise the engine by pushing it with a jack and a wooden board. since i do not have the oil pan to distribute the weight nicely and give a straight surface, this will be an interesting one.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Try jacking it at the gearbox. The treads on my old oil pan were gone, & oil was leaking at the drain plug. So I had to replace with another pan. I jacked the engine from the gearbox (were it meets the engine). It worked. Just remove the air intake tube so the engine has space to lift.
But it was a mission.........

·
Outstanding Contributor
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,274 Posts
Try jacking it at the gearbox. The treads on my old oil pan were gone, & oil was leaking at the drain plug. So I had to replace with another pan. I jacked the engine from the gearbox (were it meets the engine). It worked. Just remove the air intake tube so the engine has space to lift.
But it was a mission.........
Remember that you will have to disconnect both motor mounts to raise the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Forgot to mention the mounts........

1 - 20 of 52 Posts