Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
CLK430 2001 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did the B service at 60k cost me an Arm and a leg. MB technician give me more bad news after inspection thru out the car.
Engine valves gaskets leaks need to be replace both sides and the driving belt, the oil pan gasket also leak and it needs to be replace.
I already make an apt for the engine valves and the driving belt :crybaby2: $$$$.

I would like to DIY oil pan gasket on the next oil change please advice! thanks.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
.... the oil pan gasket also leak and it needs to be replace.

I would like to DIY oil pan gasket on the next oil change please advice! thanks.
First, you will need to clean up the bottom of the engine (kerosene on a rag works well) to establish if your leak is from the lower pan gasket, or the upper pan gasket.

The lower pan gasket is easy to DIY remove/refit, but the upper one is not, and entails lifting the engine with a hoist.:eek:

If it is simply the lower pan leaking, advise here and I'll post the WIS details. It is important to apply the pan gasket sealant correctly/timely so I can forward those details also.

You will need a container to collect about 8 liters of oil when you do your oilchange. We have a DIY for that here, (and there are others too. :))

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1333531-successful-diy-oil-change.html

·
Registered
CLK430 2001 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Keyhole, I have both upper and lower pan leaks but the MB dealer will take care of the upper leak since it a lots to deal with. I simply will try to do the lower pan leak myself, but before doing I need advice how to DIY on this project?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Don...

Please get the engine cover off and take a look for yourself. Valve cover gasket leaks are quite rare on these engines. However, breather cover leaks (atop the valve covers) are very, very common and are easy to take care of yourself. They seep enough, though, that it can look like valve cover leaks. So get out there and clean it up and find out, maybe save yourself several hundred bucks.

I'd say the same about the oil pan gasket. They too rarely leak. However, the oil level sensor can leak. Pull the belly pan, clean things up and find out. Note also that there are TWO oil pans, the lower and upper. The lower is easy to R&R and just uses special silicone as a gasket and must be removed if you have to change the oil level sensor.

All of that said, a very common leak site on these engines is the pressure port on the front of the timing case (a little diamond-shaped cover). You can see it looking a bit above and past the tensioner. Be sure it's dry, because it can leak and oil can run everywhere, including around the oil pan.

Last thought: I'm not a fan of taking old cars to dealers; this might be time to search out a good indie for second opinions. But before you do that, I'd still do the rest of the investigating myself as discussed above.

Good luck.

·
Registered
CLK430 2001 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Gregs210/Keyhole appreciate for your great advices. Thank you very much! I will do further investigation on the car before taking it to the "Stealer"
I just order bunch of parts which I can do the A and B services, trans, and oil pan DIY! It cost a fractions of what I paid to the Stealer to do one service. I wish I know this forum sooner :)

Thank everyone for our great advice! This forum rocks!

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
Don

Would you please fill in your profile (with model/year/location, etc) in the UserCP ^^^ at top of page, as this often helps with answers.

A thought has occurred to me. If you are planning to have your Indie deal with the upper pan gasket leak (when?) is there any point in you doing the lower gasket soon, as it will have to come off again when the upper gasket is changed.

However, these documents might help you understand the topic. If you go ahead with the job, observe the pan bolt torques and the oil quantity given in the drawing. MB are specific where the gasket sealant should go, so note the path shown on the drawing. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
CLK430 2001 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keyhole, I update my profile in UserCP. Thanks for great info on the pdf.files.
I will have the dealer do the upper gasket this weekend and the lower oil pan gasket will be done by me when the mileage get to 70K when I do my A service. Last week the dealer did 60K B service.
Do you think both upper and lower gaskets should be done at the same time?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
Don - thanks for doing your profile. :)

To remove the top part of the oil pan is MAJOR work, and involves lifting the engine. It entails the removal of many items in a list of 21 tasks in the WIS.

Task 17 is Remove the bottom section of the oil pan. Task 21 is Remove the top section of the oil pan.

So you can see that your Inde will have to remove the bottom section on his way to the top section. You are wasting your time thinking of doing it yourself!

·
Registered
CLK430 2001 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok maybe I was been taking for the ride by the inde. which is happen often when you don't know jack about your car which make you a subject of bink bink $$$$.
They told me that they can do the upper part then later they can do the lower part. Since it cost almost $2k to did both at the same time. I am confused? so what you saying is that to do the top part they also have to do the lower part anyway?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
I am confused? so what you saying is that to do the top part they also have to do the lower part anyway?
That's what I'm saying - based on the WIS procedure I have read. Why not get a second opinion by calling your MB dealership?

Hopefully someone here (who has done the job themselves) will confirm what I have told you. :)

Are these gasket leaks considerable - or just a little seepage? If minor, I wouldn't bother if the cost of the work is as high as you report. The car won't run any better for the expenditure!

Many of us would just leave a large tin pan on the garage floor to collect the occasional drip.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
The lower oil pan must come down to remove the upper section so this is part and parcel of the whole job.

·
52,804 Posts
Maybe I should explain a little better, two of the front retaining bolts for the upper section are bolted from the inside and thus the bottom pan has to come down to remove them.

Attachments

·
Registered
CLK430 2001 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Keyhole and Eric, I will ask the MB dealer and local inde to see what they have to say.
This is great info.Wow!!! I wander what the dealer does when they said they can replace to top gasket and do the bottom later??? They can get away with others people hardwork $$$$ unbeliveable!
You guys rock!!!!!

·
52,804 Posts
Thank you Keyhole and Eric, I will ask the MB dealer and local inde to see what they have to say.
This is great info.Wow!!! I wander what the dealer does when they said they can replace to top gasket and do the bottom later??? They can get away with others people hardwork $$$$ unbeliveable!
You guys rock!!!!!
For sure they took you as an idiot (person who knows nothing of his car) and were looking to fleece you. Double dip for the same job.:mad: But I must add that not all Service assistants understand the cars. But the service manager should and I would have some serious questions for him and his control on the service assistants.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.