Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the procedure to replace the oil pan gasket on a 98 C230 ?

Would greatly appreciate a link or DIY instructions. Searched this forum but can't find anything. Bought a giant MB manual but there's no info on this. Oil leak is getting worse and it looks like the pan gasket.

Thanks much, Joe

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
based on what the pan looks like from memory i would think drain all the oil. remove the oil level sensor and then just unbolt the pan. replace the gasket and put everything back together in the reverse order. the important thing to get would be the torque specifications on the oil pan bolts since you dont want to strip anyting.

·
Registered
1996 C280
151 Posts
Looking for the procedure to replace the oil pan gasket on a 98 C230 ?

Would greatly appreciate a link or DIY instructions. Searched this forum but can't find anything. Bought a giant MB manual but there's no info on this. Oil leak is getting worse and it looks like the pan gasket.

Thanks much, Joe
I'm pretty sure the engine must be lifted for this procedure. Do some more searching.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have a link to an online repair manual or procedure to do this, or can some one email me one? I can't believe it's not covered in the giant repair manual I bought. Can the gasket be replaced without lifting the motor?
Thanks, Joe.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
The cross member underneath is in the way, the motor would have to be lifted to gain access. I would make darn sure that is the source of the leak before moving foward on this. If it is definitely leaking from there I would suggest trying to snug the bolts first.
A head gasket leak or a front main seal can mask itself as if there is oil pan gasket failure since both of those items can drip around that area, I had a front main seal leak and it initially looked like the oil pan was leaking. That particular job does not have the access problem.
Alldata may more info on what your looking for. B

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks B, would appreciate your opinion based on the attached pics.

It doesn't look like the main seal to me. Looks like the leak is from the passenger side. I tried tightening the bolts months ago but that didn't help. Any help much appreciated. Thanks again, Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
Wondering what kind of gas mileage you are getting? and what mileage you have on the car now. Did you have a look at your fluids and notice any mixing? such as oil and antifreeze. I'am hoping its not, and really don't want to say it, but possibly Head gasket.
I would suggest cleaning what you can under there and monitoring the leak unless your loosing a considerable amount of oil. As you know its hard to see around the harmonic balancer. Oil can creep around the side similiar to what you have. Without a mirror the passenger side where the manifold is difficult to see but maybe you can get a [email protected] and have a look there to see if its coming down there or isolated just around the pan, if you can degrease that area too so you can make a better diagnosis. B

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Have you checked that you don't have a leaking cam magnet seal first? drips down and looks like pan seal

Pan removal requires lifting tackle to raise engine a bit - engine and tranny mounts have to be unbolted(bottom bolt)
Shroud/anti roll bar/exhaust downpipe need removing
Bolts finger tight only when refitting - then tighten tranny bolts first to align with sump pan - then pan bolts - can cause vibration otherwise

Oberoi

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, much appreciated...
B - Mileage is over 30mpg last time I checked, car has 154k miles on it. No mixing of fluids, I just replaced the water pump and anti freeze was clean. I don't see anything above the pan but degreasing and mirror inspection are excellent ideas and I'll try that.

O - Everything above the oil pan is dry from what I can see so I don't think it's the cam sensor, I also replaced the crankshaft position sensor recently and all is dry up there too. Thanks for the motor lifting instructions, looks like I'll live with the leak.

After a long trip, I saw a small pool of oil on the cardboard I keep under the motor to catch the usual drips, and that's what scared me, but I topped off the oil and it doesn't look like it's any worse than usual now so I'll live with it for now. I'll update the thread if I do anything. Thanks for all your help guys. I'm thinkin' Honda Civic next. Joe.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Agree with bmeister - assume you have checked the bolts ? - mine had 3 missing when I first bought it (70 k on clock) found 2 of them caught up in the piping

Oberoi

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O - yes I tightened all the torque head bolts on the pan months ago when it first started to leak but unfortunately that didn't help. I don't know what the torque specs are but I snugged up each one tight.

I wonder if loosening all the bolts and unseating the pan (without removing it completely), then re-tightening the bolts would help? Assuming you can get at all the bolts without lifting the engine. Probably wouldn't help and you run the risk that the leak may get worse. Wish there was an easy fix.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Sump to crankcase - M6 bolts - 7 lb/ft (10 Nm)
-------------------- M8 bolts - 18 lb/ft (25Nm)
Sump to Transmission --------- 30 lb/ft (40Nm)

Just checked the Haynes manual and it recommends just a smear of grease on a new gasket - no sealer -- I would think if you disturbed the seal, you might end up worse.

I think a squirt with a hose will tell you where you are at.

If you decide to hoist the engine up and have a go at it, I'll send you the 2 pages of the manual

Quick thought, it's not a poor seal on your oil filter? - never experienced it myself but some have (EDIT -just checked your pics again - wrong side of engine)

Oberoi

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
O - I would greatly appreciate the couple pages from the H manual. I'll pm you my email address.

I checked the oil filter and everything above the oil pan seal seems to be dry. I'm going to get some degreaser and try cleaning the area around the leak to see if I can pinpoint the exact location.

Funny - Haynes does not list a manual for the 1998 C230 on their site, so I bought the giant Benz manual from Bently publishing and it does not cover this procedure. I also bought a manual from eBay on CD that is completely worthless. After a quick search on Amazon just now, I see Haynes actually does have a manual for "Mercedes-Benz C-class Petrol and Diesel (1993-2000)." Is that the one you have? If it's any good I'll buy one from Amazon, wish I saw this earlier. Thanks loads, Joe.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
OK - On it's way in the next few minutes - I'll post here also as there is someone else with oil near the alternator - might be relevant

Oberoi

1 - 17 of 17 Posts