Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1992 500 SL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one of these cars. It has an oil leak around the pan gasket. I am told this is a 10 hour job. The last time I replaced one of these it was on a ford and it was not a big deal.

Any insite into this? An easier way to replace? or even repair the seal?

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
oil pan gasket

I just bought one of these cars. It has an oil leak around the pan gasket. I am told this is a 10 hour job. The last time I replaced one of these it was on a ford and it was not a big deal.

Any insite into this? An easier way to replace? or even repair the seal?
I hope not - the gasket for the LOWER OIL PAN is only $36.00 plus the oil drain plug gasket ($1.00)

Are you talking about LOWER oil pan or UPPER oil PAN?

After the lower oil pan - there's an upper one which does get into more complex disonnections. The lower one should not take more than 40 minutes (my mechanics book states $160 for this job)

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
autohausaz I think I paid like $4 for the lower pan gasket.
Drain crush washer comes free with the oil filter kit.
Common guys.... heads up.

The upper is a lot of labor.$$$$
But I think that it is the lower that leaks....

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1992 MB 500SL
223 Posts
Oi Pan Leak

Hi,

There are "cheap" ways to fix this leak. I would get a few cans of Brake Cleaner and spray around the leaking gasket- make sure this is clean. If not sure, get another spray can.

After the area is clean, I would install some JB Weld Kwik. Make sure the epoxy covers the area thoroughly. You could use the regular JB Weld- that takes 24 hours to set and has a 500 degree limit. The Kwik has a 4 hour set and a 300 degree limit. The 300 degree is fine for an oil pan.

You can also get some aluminum foil; place some (with loads of JB Weld) around the leaky area (after using Brake Cleaner).

This sort of fix does work; it may not be clean to look at.

So there you have it!

Peter C. Sessler

·
Registered
1992 500 SL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

There are "cheap" ways to fix this leak. I would get a few cans of Brake Cleaner and spray around the leaking gasket- make sure this is clean. If not sure, get another spray can.

After the area is clean, I would install some JB Weld Kwik. Make sure the epoxy covers the area thoroughly. You could use the regular JB Weld- that takes 24 hours to set and has a 500 degree limit. The Kwik has a 4 hour set and a 300 degree limit. The 300 degree is fine for an oil pan.

You can also get some aluminum foil; place some (with loads of JB Weld) around the leaky area (after using Brake Cleaner).

This sort of fix does work; it may not be clean to look at.

So there you have it!

Peter C. Sessler
Thanks! I may give that a try. Is it a temporary fix or does it last fairly well?

Any down side to this fix?

I am assuming at a later date someone could remove the weld? any need to get into that pan at a later date?

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
It has an oil leak around the pan gasket. I am told this is a 10 hour job.

Any insite into this?
redomainname, since you have not updated your profile including the model or year of your R129 roadster, I find it difficult to answer your questions accurately.

·
Registered
1992 MB 500SL
223 Posts
Oil Pan leak

Hi,

It should come off, when you need it to.

You, of course, can put a dab of the stuff on a clean part of the engine to see how it adheres and comes off.

Peter C. Sessler

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
I would get a new gasket, but J.B.Weld is wonderful stuff. I made a new hinge for the right sun visor door, and I really believe it's much stonger than the plastic. Also created a build up behind each lower corner of the center vent assembly to construct a place to receive the 2 screws. The plastic they tapped into was completely torn up at both ends and the screws were useless. Ill use steel speed nut glued behind the holes instead of tapping int the Weld.
I don't trust the 5 min. epoxies or J.B.Quick, though. they're all weaker and I figure you always shoud take a littlr longer and use the best.
It does harden a lot faster with heat.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
redomainname, since you have not updated your profile including the model or year of your R129 roadster, I find it difficult to answer your questions accurately.
Thank you for updating your profile, I see that your car is a 92 500SL and according to the Mitchell1's Mechanical Labor Estimating Guide...

1992-93 500SL Oil Pan Gasket R&R

• Lower - 1.6 hours
  • Upper & Lower - 12.5 hours

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Wow, 12.5 for the upper, hope I don't get that one lol.

You might consider what one wise man told me. Go see if the bolts just need to be tightened a little. My leak went away after finding three loose ones. Just don't strip it going too tight.

Stopped my expedition leak too. I owe aam at least three hours labor. :)

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
Does anyone have the procedure or write up on how to replace the upper pan gasket?

·
Registered
Looking for an upper 90's SL600
73 Posts
Gasket

I really think you should get another Quote and stay far away form the Stealer-ship's because you will be walking funny for a month I guarantee you. I almost passed out though when you referred to the R129 as "I just bought one of these Cars" I nearly passed out at my laptop. I guess people are at different levels of admiration of the amount of Quality that went into our Treasures. They dont make them like this anymore and we intend to keep the fire burning in hearts around the world. I really hope you get it ixed soon, because they just get worse over time and you will have a mess on your hands. Best of luck my friend....
:thumbsup:

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,331 Posts
I really think you should get another Quote and stay far away form the Stealer-ship's because you will be walking funny for a month I guarantee you. I almost passed out though when you referred to the R129 as "I just bought one of these Cars" I nearly passed out at my laptop. I guess people are at different levels of admiration of the amount of Quality that went into our Treasures. They dont make them like this anymore and we intend to keep the fire burning in hearts around the world. I really hope you get it ixed soon, because they just get worse over time and you will have a mess on your hands. Best of luck my friend....
:thumbsup:
I hope you know this thread is 2 years old....:D

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,331 Posts
No I did not. But Thank you for giving me the heads up. I feel like a fucking retard now.
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel bad....:(... NO....!! You're not a retard.... The reason I point this out because the guy might not reply since it been 2 years... Thanks for being helpful in this forum..:):thumbsup:...

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts