Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300D
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To give a bit of history, I've been driving the car for about 3 weeks now (who knows how long it sat before I purchased it) and I hadn't noticed anything prior to just yesterday. Now I have sparse amounts of oil on the driver side floor mat, one spot dead center on the rubber portion of the mat and one about an inch to the left.

I spent most of the day Saturday tinkering with the car. I installed a new used dashboard, I/P cluster, center console and adjusted the throttle linkages. I'm sure things are starting to "break loose" just because the car is being driven now and I may have inadvertently bumped something loose while changing the dash out, but finding the source of that little drip is proving to be a bit elusive.

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
500 Posts
The only sources of oil under the dash are the oil gauge/line or the ignition switch. Since the vacuum for the shut-off solenoid on the injection pump goes through the switch, the only reason there would be oil at the switch is due to a leaking solenoid or leaking vacuum pump sucking oil from the engine. Since the engine would probably not shut off if the solenoid was leaking, I suspect it is the vacuum pump. Your car should have the pump with the diaphragm, which can be purchased as a kit for repair. I would get this fixed asap, as I have heard the oil can go throughout the vacuum system and damage components over time.

·
Registered
1982 300D,1986300E, 1991300TE AND GROWING
80 Posts
TAKE OFF COVER UNDER DASH POP OFF 4 SCREW COVERS THEN TAKE OUT 4 PHILIPS HEAD SCREWS. COVER WILL COME OFF. YOU CANT SEE WELL UNDER THERE SO GET A MIRROR AND A FLASHLIGHT. LOOK UP UNDER YOU WILL SEE A LOT OF WIRES AND LINES LOOK IN ABOUT OIL PRESSURE GAUGE AREA . THAT SHOULD TELL YOU THE PROBLEM. MINE JUST HAS OIL AROUND THE LINE SO I HAVENT TOUCHED IT YET. DO THIS WITH CAR RUNNING UNDER PRESSURE. I HAVE A SMALL REPAIR SHOP UP THE STREET I,M GOING TO ASK SOME QUESTIONS TO. ALL THEY DO IS BENZS. ILL POST ON WENDSDAY.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts