Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and would appreciate any opinions on this.
1) Have oil leak under car, gatage thouhgt oil pan seal.
2) Dash cluster completely went down one day last week...nothing works except for little bulb showing I have a light out.
3) Next day car began running very rough.
4)garage ran OBD and engine computer scan thought I needed a new dash instrument cluster and also coil pack 4 #4 cylinder.

I ordered a coil pack and thought before I got it I would cahng plugs. In pulling out 1-4 they came out covered in oil and you could not even see the threads. 5-6 towards passenger compartment were dry. After changing the plugs still ran very rough so i will install new coil pack for #4. I am basically in a world of hurt with all these problems and would really appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. One thing on the dash cluster i thought of was that i had a power inverter plugged in for my computer and on a sudden stop water got in it from a bottle. Did not do anything then but 2 days later the dash issue surfaced, by the way cig lighter not working also. Didn't know if this may have done something to electrical/dash.

Again any help appreciated!
Lisa M. Stewart

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,730 Posts
Hi Lisa,

Stop! Before you spend any more money..

It would be helpful to know what model, mileage, and year you're talking about...please take the time to update your profile and fill that info in there.

A little oil in the spark plug area isn't uncommon. However you're having other leaks somewhere...possibly the head gasket ($1500 replace job), valve cover seal, forward seal, or oil pan seal. Lots of possibilities there. One time I didn't get my oil filter cap screwed on properly and leaked oil like a sieve there...

My immediate suspicion is that you have a bad wiring harness...hold off on replacing that coil pack for a second! Try swapping the coil packs around, reset the engine computer, and have the garage run another OBD scan again...what you're looking to see is if the misfiring cylinders moved. If they did, then it's a coil pack. However, if the same cylinders are misfiring, then your coils are probably fine, and it's most likely the engine wiring harness.

Additionally, all of these electrical gremlins and problems that you're having sound like an engine wiring harness problem. The harness should cost about $1500 installed, depending on the model and shop.

You might want to get a second opinion from a reputable independent MB shop too.

Please report back with your model, mileage, and year so we can give you a better assessment.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
i agree that my first thought was the wiring harness, but im not going to jump to conclusions. i would recommend checking your fuses. maybe you blew a fuse with the water and thats whats causing your cluster and cig lighter not to work. i would recommend checking all your fuses. if the coil pack is bad, that will cause your car to run horrible. basically its running on 3 cylinders probably.

swapping the coil pack and rechecking codes will ensure you replace the right component. the code said misfire on cylinder 4, but that could be the coil pack, the wire, or the plug. you replaced the plugs, so its probably not that anymore. however, swapping the coils to see if the fault moves to a new cylinder will tell you if its actually the coil or not.

as for your oil leaks, they are a concern, but i would be less worried about them right now. you can degrease the engine and then keep a close eye on where the oil is coming from, to make sure you replace the correct seal.

as for the wiring harness, if it does turn out to be that its what needs replaced, there is a guy on this forum who makes them, very high quality and will only be around 400 dollars i think. his name is doin12volt and im sure if you search this forum about it, you will find him.

let us know what you find out! good luck :)

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
In another thread, she said she had a 99 C230k, so that makes the wiring harness less likely. Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts