Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting here since the W251 is still fairly new and the forum is not as DIY active as this section.
Was changing the oil in the R the other day. Wasn't paying attention when screwing on the oil filter housing cap.. the o-ring was not seated correctly. Needless to say, I made a huge mess when I went to start it...
In addition to oil being everywhere, it has soaked sections of the serpentine belt and pulleys. Has anyone gotten oil on their belts and if so, what was the solution? Is a thorough cleaning and hosing with a degreaser sufficient or does the belt have to be replaced?
Thanks,
-Robert

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
i wouldn't worry about it at all. i wouldn't even spray any degreaser on the belt, just drive the car. the belts are designed to operate in an oily environment, so a little oil spilled by you won't cause any damage at all.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
Ditto on belts being oil RESISTANT. That doesn't mean they will last for years soaked with oil, but occasional spill will not have measurable effect on their life.
I would worry more about the pulleys slipping under the load, so would wash the oil with water, or at least wipe it off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pulleys slipping under load is what I'm concerned about as well.
Seems there is general consensus regarding the belt's resistance to oil...
I'm planning to wash with a degreaser and will update with results!
Thanks for the suggestions.
-Robert

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
Don't put any degreaser unless you make sure it will not harm the rubber.
Plain water on warm engine always did good job for me, but I wash my engines at least couple times a year.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure how I could make sure it will not harm rubber...
I am trying to stay away from petroleum based degreasers since that certainly increases the chances of rubber damage. I was planning on using "Purple Power", which I believe is more like a strong detergent than a solvent.
Kajtek1, maybe you have some advice for engine washing?
-R

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
Kajtek1, maybe you have some advice for engine washing?
-R
Gave it already twice ;)
Unfortunately learning what is good for our cars and what not is very difficult. The same come to medicine, but that is another story.
Lot of owners use "Tire shine" stuff of different brands. Not too many ever researched the stuff to be pretty harmful to the tires. Same MIGHT apply to Seafoam and millions of other things.
That is why I always start with being very skeptic and go from there. Water will not harm the rubber, just don't spray it on high voltage wiring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts