Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2009 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

Without boring you with details I got strong-armed (i.e., scammed), into buying a 2009 C350, 23,000 miles. I took the car to MB Beverly Hills and the tech said the oil had NEVER been changed - since 2009. I did not notice any problems while driving the car, no blue smoke from the exhaust, and no engine noise. There was however some sludge on the oil cap.

The shady dealer is flushing the engine, putting new oil, flushing again, then again new oil and new filter. I guess my question is as such - as I am stuck with this vehicle, is there any hope that it will survive? Has anyone out there ever dealt with such a situation? Just need to prepare myself for the worst (or best) case scenario. Thank you!

·
Registered
2000 ML320
45 Posts
I haven't had this happen with a MB, but I did have a Jeep that was treated pretty similarly. The lady didn't know that the oil had to be changed, and it was a miracle the engine didn't sieze up the way she drove it.

We had to replace most of the seals in the engine, but after that the car was very dependable.

·
Registered
2003 G500 (soon)
70 Posts
23k m is nothing for engine oil - as u experienced!
get out of ur heads having it changed 4 times a year or every 3k m!!

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
:thumbsup:
Hello all...

Without boring you with details I got strong-armed (i.e., scammed), into buying a 2009 C350, 23,000 miles. I took the car to MB Beverly Hills and the tech said the oil had NEVER been changed - since 2009. ....

I guess my question is as such - as I am stuck with this vehicle, is there any hope that it will survive?
Relax! Your engine will be perfectly OK. I'm not even sure if MB do the traditional 'post-delivery' 500/1000 mile oil change these days.

Nothing will have been harmed on your engine at that mileage, as both the oil and the filter are designed for a greater distance than that. It's surprising that the cluster did not display a service announcement though... Enjoy your new ride.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
23k m is nothing for engine oil - as u experienced!
get out of ur heads having it changed 4 times a year or every 3k m!!
That makes me feel MUCH better. I did watch the initial "flush" happen and although there were several small chunks of congealed oil coming out, most of this original oil was liquid (mixed with GUNK flushing fluid of course), dark brown to almost black. I spoke to MB Beverly Hills and they said the factory warranty on the engine would probably be voided due to lack of maintenance on the part of the original owner, but everything else will still be covered. Fingers crossed I don't break down on the 405 during rush hour! Thanks for the positive words - much needed as this has been a nightmare!

·
Registered
2009 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't had this happen with a MB, but I did have a Jeep that was treated pretty similarly. The lady didn't know that the oil had to be changed, and it was a miracle the engine didn't sieze up the way she drove it.

We had to replace most of the seals in the engine, but after that the car was very dependable.
I wonder what is involved in changing all the seals in the MB, and if this is normally a very expensive procedure? However in the long run replacing seals will be considerably less expensive than buying an entire new engine. Since this car is now mine I'll do whatever it takes to make sure it reverts to nearly excellent running order provided this flushing and oil changes take care of the congealed gel within the engine. Thank you for the sound advice and knowing someone has experienced the same thing helps me see a light at the end of a very long, expensive tunnel!

·
Registered
2009 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That's helpful and encouraging. Was there sludge in the engine? Seems like from what I saw this one does (or did as it was flushed)? To what extent I don't really know but hoping minimal as I could see liquid oil of a light golden brown mixed in as well.

·
Registered
2009 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1659937-still-thinking-about-changing-oil-every.html
The stealership evidently is doing its job. I would call MB USA with complain
I am not a lawyer, but per my knowledge to void the warranty they need to prove the action actually harm the engine. I wish them luck doing that :D
Agreed, the "stealership" is doing whatever it can to get me out of there. A little concerned that the flush might do more damage than good, but I won't know until I get the damn thing back on Tuesday. I'll use the BG products to hopefully extend the life of the engine as long (or short) as possible. There have been some cases where the engine cleaned up reasonably enough that the car was fine, so with such low mileage I'm crossing fingers that this one might fall in that category. Guess I'll soon see...

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,716 Posts
Agreed, the "stealership" is doing whatever it can to get me out of there. A little concerned that the flush might do more damage than good, but I won't know until I get the damn thing back on Tuesday. I'll use the BG products to hopefully extend the life of the engine as long (or short) as possible. There have been some cases where the engine cleaned up reasonably enough that the car was fine, so with such low mileage I'm crossing fingers that this one might fall in that category. Guess I'll soon see...
Engine flushers are usually kerosene based, or equivalent, meaning your engine was run without proper lubricant for some time. Unless dealer made oil testing proving there was sludge in it - they took your money for doing the harm to the engine. I doubt there was a sludge as the mileage is not much higher than those engine are legally allow to run on oils in different countries. Again, I would keep good records about the procedure and call MBUSA

·
Registered
2009 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Engine flushers are usually kerosene based, or equivalent, meaning your engine was run without proper lubricant for some time. Unless dealer made oil testing proving there was sludge in it - they took your money for doing the harm to the engine. I doubt there was a sludge as the mileage is not much higher than those engine are legally allow to run on oils in different countries. Again, I would keep good records about the procedure and call MBUSA
There was definitely sludge in the engine, but to what extent I don't know. I saw what came out during the initial flush and there were "chunks" coming out along with the old oil and the flusher (GUNK). It's a 50/50 draw as to whether the flushing caused additional damage by dislodging or breaking seals and parts, or if it just cleared out the sludge and residue. Evidently there was enough concern as legitimate dealers didn't buy it from the MB Financial auction and these scammers did for probably nothing. Sad as physically the car is pristine, but without a good engine, well, pretty is as pretty does.

·
Registered
07 E63 + 07 CLK63 Cab
64 Posts
Sir do not change any of the seals,

There was definitely sludge in the engine, but to what extent I don't know. I saw what came out during the initial flush and there were "chunks" coming out along with the old oil and the flusher (GUNK). It's a 50/50 draw as to whether the flushing caused additional damage by dislodging or breaking seals and parts, or if it just cleared out the sludge and residue. Evidently there was enough concern as legitimate dealers didn't buy it from the MB Financial auction and these scammers did for probably nothing. Sad as physically the car is pristine, but without a good engine, well, pretty is as pretty does.
There is more opportunity to mess up and engine when changing out seals that do not leak. For the sludge, run the car now for approx 50-100 miles at normal RPMs not extended highway, for a week, 5 days on the 4th day add 1 liter of auto trans fluid to the engine and drive for one more day. On the day of the oil change drive to the dealer ask that the oil be changed right away, if not run the engine for 10 minutes before changing it. Drain oil from car when hot, replace with new oil and filter. Drive the car for 500 to 1000 miles then change the oil and filter again, after this the engine should be in good enough shape to run the full oil change recommendation. The trouble with the engine flush is if it not done properly the chunky material that you seen coming out will clog the pickup of the oil pump and starve the engine of oil.
Remember no high rpms on the motor and change oil only when hot if you live in a warm climate a 20 minute drive in town would be okay then drop the oil. A few hundred dollars in oil changes is better than let someone change seals, seal do not break they will only seep oil, if and when a seal does show signs of leakage than you can deal with that issue, but not now. If your car has an engine oil cooler in front of the radiator, make sure you drain it also of oil when doing the oil change. When complete touch the oil feed lines to the engine oil cooler with engine warm and running to assure the cooler is not plugged. Happy driving, do not over think the issue.:)

·
Registered
07 E63 + 07 CLK63 Cab
64 Posts
Hello all...

Without boring you with details I got strong-armed (i.e., scammed), into buying a 2009 C350, 23,000 miles. I took the car to MB Beverly Hills and the tech said the oil had NEVER been changed - since 2009. I did not notice any problems while driving the car, no blue smoke from the exhaust, and no engine noise. There was however some sludge on the oil cap.

The shady dealer is flushing the engine, putting new oil, flushing again, then again new oil and new filter. I guess my question is as such - as I am stuck with this vehicle, is there any hope that it will survive? Has anyone out there ever dealt with such a situation? Just need to prepare myself for the worst (or best) case scenario. Thank you!
When you say the Tech said the oil had not been changed, this guy I would bet does not even have a mechanics license if he is just an oil changer, this job is usually given to a junior wannabee mechanic, there is no way he could tell when of if the oil was changed unless the drain bolt was welded on with a date tag saying do not remove. In my experience with any dealership the real mechanics work on the mechanical parts and the oil changes are left to the students. Ihad a car once where the oil stick was rusted in the tube, so that when the oil plug was removed it flowed like cold honey, 1 liter of trans oil and a run around town when reopened the oil could not get out fast enough, like water car ran for years after. If you are really worried have a mechanical guy remove a valve cover or if a lot of sludge is present remove both, clean inside of covers and remove as much as possible around valve springs maybe with a vacuum( I have used this method a simple wet dry vac) replace valve covers and run engine until warm then do a oil change. Remember he is only the lub guy not a mechanic with license. Just for curiosity sake ask him to show you his mechanics license LOL you will be shocked.

·
Registered
2009 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to know, and thank you. Now that it's been established that little if any maintenance was done on the car for the last three years, what are the first things I should have done? New coolant, air filter, another oil change - what else is top priority? I've decided by force to make this a project and learn as much as I possibly can.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
If the tech hooked the car up to the Star that will tell him about the oil change frequency. I would not depend on any eyeball analysis.

On my car MB says to change the coolant every 3 years and the brake fluid every 2 years. I would also replace the air filter and change the oil again after driving for 500 miles. Have a close look at what comes out.

·
Registered
2009 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the tech hooked the car up to the Star that will tell him about the oil change frequency. I would not depend on any eyeball analysis.

On my car MB says to change the coolant every 3 years and the brake fluid every 2 years. I would also replace the air filter and change the oil again after driving for 500 miles. Have a close look at what comes out.
Great information and about what I had suspected, thanks Musikmann. Definitely will change the oil after the first 500 miles, no question there. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Great information and about what I had suspected, thanks Musikmann. Definitely will change the oil after the first 500 miles, no question there. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds!
You're welcome and good luck to you. Plus let me underline something Kajtek1 said: cars in other countries run a lot longer on oil than they do in the USA. 23,000 is pushing it, but still not that bad.

·
Registered
2009 C350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're welcome and good luck to you. Plus let me underline something Kajtek1 said: cars in other countries run a lot longer on oil than they do in the USA. 23,000 is pushing it, but still not that bad.
It's a tough situation - a mechanic in Colorado who has an excellent blog/website that deals with the sludge issue has given me a very grim diagnosis, in a nutshell saying that the engine has been way too compromised and will fail shortly. Others like Kajtek1 who has offered GREAT information is more optimistic. MB of Beverly Hills gave me a fairly negative prognosis as well, yet others have said it's not that big of a problem. There is nothing more I can do than the preventative measures I will take once I get the car back on Tuesday, otherwise just play the waiting game.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,716 Posts
Once again, the main rule for oils is to never judge them by the looks.
So your mechanics giving you hard time are idiots showing their egos on the subject they have no education on.
I would save samples of oils. If the first sample was never taken, take a sample of the new after 500 miles and send it to lab. $25 for test is worth much more than forum dispute ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts