Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
GL450
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed oil last month. My dashboard message says the next service is in 20,000km.

I don't use the car often -- only use it for about 5,000km per year. Does this mean I will have to wait 4 years before changing the oil? Will that damage the engine? Or should I change the oil every year even if the service is still not due?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I'm a newbie with my Benz but I expect to put about 12K miles per year on it and my next service is due in about the same mileage. So, I expect to do it per the recommended mileage posted in the car, or one year, whichever comes first.

I'm not the expert here, but I'd also think that if you are changing oil every year due to time and not mileage, I would NOT reset the on board computer as that may trigger more extensive services sooner than actually required (although there is really nothing wrong with "over-servicing" a car other than throwing $$$ away). When the scheduled service in the on-board computer finally comes up, then perform that specific service and reset the system accordingly.

On all of my other cars, the mileage for oil changes typically comes up before the 1 year duration has passed so this is usually a non issue for me specifically.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
525 Posts
Just changed oil last month. My dashboard message says the next service is in 20,000km.

I don't use the car often -- only use it for about 5,000km per year. Does this mean I will have to wait 4 years before changing the oil? Will that damage the engine? Or should I change the oil every year even if the service is still not due?
If time and not mileage were an issue to the M-B engineers the computer would be programed to prompt you to change the oil when time ran out even if the miles (km) were not used. Don't worry about it until / unless that happens.:)

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
If time and not mileage were an issue to the M-B engineers the computer would be programed to prompt you to change the oil when time ran out even if the miles (km) were not used.
And it is.

You'll get the message in one year's time regardless of mileage accumulated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts