Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor and 1999 SLK230 Kompressor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I washed and wiped everything and that's the only location the oil drips. Checked the sides and there's no oil misting/sweating on both side. Oil pressure port on top of the tensioner is also clean. Losing quite an amount of oil when driving.

Please verify the location of the oil pressure switch/sensor? Is it near that oil drip on the picture?

This is my first w210, and I'm quite unfamiliar with it. Had a 202 and 211 and still have a 170. Please help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just need a verification from you guys if this is the same characteristic you encountered when you have the same oil level sensor/switch problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,855 Posts
It is hard to confirm anything if you have 1/2 of oil pan wet. I would wipe it off and wrap paper towels around the hoses and whenever you can stuff it and recheck after short drive.
The stuff looks redish, so the pictured ATF piping would be my suspect.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
5,021 Posts
It is hard to confirm anything if you have 1/2 of oil pan wet. I would wipe it off and wrap paper towels around the hoses and whenever you can stuff it and recheck after short drive.
The stuff looks redish, so the pictured ATF piping would be my suspect.
Kaj,

I have the same oil leak at the same location, and also I can see some oil drop at the clamp that is attaching the transmission pipe to the oil pan, can this pipe break at the clamp connection?
I wiped it dry before but It is really hard to tell where the leak is coming from, and in my case It does not look as it is ATF cuz the color is more brownish than red and the ATF is new.

·
Registered
37,855 Posts
True is that some leaks are nightmare to trace.
I had a leak on W124 that first I traced as chain tensioner leak, than I found that water pump gasket leak occasionally and air flow was pushing the coolant over the tensioner, washing out some dirt and looking like the oil. After fixing those, it turn out the head gasket above tensioner leaked only at high speeds, so short drives did not show it.
Took me like 1/2 year to figure it out since it was my son car and I drove it once a week.
Coming to this situation, the ATF hoses are not lifetime items, even they sometimes last 20 years. If you are in doubt, replace it making sure you give the connection proper torque. I remember paying less than $20 for one and they are easy to replace.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kaj,

I have the same oil leak at the same location, and also I can see some oil drop at the clamp that is attaching the transmission pipe to the oil pan, can this pipe break at the clamp connection?
I wiped it dry before but It is really hard to tell where the leak is coming from, and in my case It does not look as it is ATF cuz the color is more brownish than red and the ATF is new.
Have you tried replacing the oil level switch/sensor? MB did an inspection on my car and said that I need to replace the sensor, just waiting on the parts. I'll keep you posted after I installed it. I might also do a DIY with photo.

·
Registered
37,855 Posts
Sensor replacement on V engine is major job. My friends have defective sensor but after getting estimate for replacement 3 years ago -decided to deal with errors coming on the cluster. But they don't have a leak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sensor replacement on V engine is major job. My friends have defective sensor but after getting estimate for replacement 3 years ago -decided to deal with errors coming on the cluster. But they don't have a leak.
I have no errors regarding the sensor but I did read some threads regarding leaking oil level sensors. So I'll replace it by myself when the part arrives.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
5,021 Posts
I have no errors too.
I cannot find the pipe part listed online, I only found the rubber hose.
Could the clamp damage the solid pipe and crack it which might cause the leak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no errors too.
I cannot find the pipe part listed online, I only found the rubber hose.
Could the clamp damage the solid pipe and crack it which might cause the leak.
I don't think it's the hose that is leaking. Like you said ATF has a red pigment on it. Mine has a golden yellow pigment on it so its definitely an engine oil.

The picture above with the Transmission line clamp to the oil pan has a rubber torn but no leak.

·
Registered
37,855 Posts

I would not take color for granted.
As I already mention I had coolant washing some residues from engine and showing as dirty, oily leak, so it is possible that ATF looks like that coming down the pan.
Still wrapping everything with paper towels and observing, observing, observing is the best working method IMHO

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon RWD
62 Posts
Did anyone have any resolution to this leak? I have the same thing. I cleaned and observed and can't tell if it is ATF or not. The ATF is new, but the leak is showing golden brown. Tried smelling it and still can't tell. It is a tricky one because it is right at the clamp and I can't tell if it is leaking from the oil-pan-bolt that mounts the clamp or is it like Hamada thought and there is a pinhole in the hard pipe that is leaking underneath the clamp...

·
Registered
2005 E320 wagon
2,790 Posts
Like Kajtek1 advised, wrap a paper towel around the base of the oil level sensor tower (what's in there anyway?) to see if that's where oil is leaking. If that stays dry, the leak is below. You might temporarily drive with the ATF cooler line unclamped. You can inspect the clamped area for rust through or chafing (is the rubber liner intact?). It should be clearer whether the lower pan is leaking or the ATF line is sweating.

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon RWD
62 Posts
Yep, just thought to myself that I am going to demount the clamp around the ATF line and drive it like that for a day. That should quickly make visible a separation between the oil pan and the ATF line.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.