Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my car to the lift today to do a visual inspection and check the torque on my tranny pan bolts since i just changed the fluid about a week ago.

when i removed my big black plastic piece at the bottom of the engine i noticed a liquid on it. i looked up at the engine and i see oil all over it. the oil on the front of the engine behind the pulleys seemed to appear wet, indicating that it was new oil. i recently replaced my cam adjuster magnet because it was leaking and i figured that was causing all the oil i saw on the front of the motor. the cam adjuster magnet is no longer leaking, but i still have wet oil.

from under the car it appeared like the oil was coming from the water pump seal lol, but to my knowledge that shouldnt leak oil. what else in that area is a common leak location or has a gasket/seal that might need replaced?

unfortunately i dont have a picture at the moment, i might be able to get one tomorrow.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
I feel the pain...

i took my car to the lift today to do a visual inspection and check the torque on my tranny pan bolts since i just changed the fluid about a week ago.

when i removed my big black plastic piece at the bottom of the engine i noticed a liquid on it. i looked up at the engine and i see oil all over it. the oil on the front of the engine behind the pulleys seemed to appear wet, indicating that it was new oil. i recently replaced my cam adjuster magnet because it was leaking and i figured that was causing all the oil i saw on the front of the motor. the cam adjuster magnet is no longer leaking, but i still have wet oil.

from under the car it appeared like the oil was coming from the water pump seal lol, but to my knowledge that shouldnt leak oil. what else in that area is a common leak location or has a gasket/seal that might need replaced?

unfortunately i dont have a picture at the moment, i might be able to get one tomorrow.
Funny sounds like the same story I am going through. Not saying this is what it is but...First thought it was a head gasket, then possilbly the crank seal. I reached behind the water pump and sure enough thats where all the black soot and moisture is coming from, have that job to do next week. I pulled the serp off and did not notice any side to side play but when turned by had you can feel resistance. Mine is easy compared to the c280. It is tough to pinpoint because of the pulley prohibiting your view.
Anyway another thing was the oil level sensor was suspect so I did that today. Last pic should be first but you get the idea. BTW I bought a Graf wp. Hope you don't have to do yours. B

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it looked like my oil level sensor had some oil on it and underneath it as well, but i couldnt tell if it was running down from on top of it. it didnt look like any above the sensor, that side of the engine was clean. i wiped up that oil and tightened it down, surprisingly one bolt was loose. we will see if that solves that problem.

as for the other leak that i cant tell where its coming from, the area around the crank pully is covered with dirt/oil mix, but i dont think that is where the leak is because there is actual wet oil above that, and i think its just run down.

i am expecting a new belt tensioner on monday and ill probably install it next weekend. maybe with the belt off and the shroud and stuff out of the way i can get a better look.

b, are you saying that you are actually replacing the water pump? what would cause oil to come out of that area? my oil is on the front of the motor and on the passenger side towards the front.

the head gasket appears fine, no oil around it. also, just as a bit of info, i have about 134,500 miles now.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
possible leaking areas

it looked like my oil level sensor had some oil on it and underneath it as well, but i couldnt tell if it was running down from on top of it. it didnt look like any above the sensor, that side of the engine was clean. i wiped up that oil and tightened it down, surprisingly one bolt was loose. we will see if that solves that problem.

as for the other leak that i cant tell where its coming from, the area around the crank pully is covered with dirt/oil mix, but i dont think that is where the leak is because there is actual wet oil above that, and i think its just run down.

i am expecting a new belt tensioner on monday and ill probably install it next weekend. maybe with the belt off and the shroud and stuff out of the way i can get a better look.

b, are you saying that you are actually replacing the water pump? what would cause oil to come out of that area? my oil is on the front of the motor and on the passenger side towards the front.

the head gasket appears fine, no oil around it. also, just as a bit of info, i have about 134,500 miles now.

Here are some pics and some info. From top to bottom I checked the valve cover, front cyl. head gasket, hg, cam mag (i know you did that) so did I:)
WP, mine is spraying bearing gunk with water that masks itself that looks like an oil leak in my case, skunk on steroids. Whats happening is that the pulley throws this soot and water all over the place.
I am doing my pump next week car its not going anywhere or far till I fix that gremlin. Don't need a puker under the hood. Also check the crank seal and bolts on the pan. Nice article of interest, not may be our particular engine but good info anyway. B

MercedesShopWiki: Head Gasket Replacement

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i cleaned off some of the oil and took some pictures so you can get a clear look at the area.

the part circled in red is the only area i saw that had oil on it above the water pump. unfortunately it does appear to be right by the head gasket :( the rest of the head gasket and lower is oil free. maybe i have a problem with the head gasket in just that one area :crybaby2:

however, below the water pump is where i saw all the oil yesterday and it doesnt appear that the oil ran down from where i circled in red to cause the large amount of oil and gunk below the water pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
My virtual diagnosis, I think if the hg was leaking it would be like a stuck pig, leaking all the time. The bearing in the wp can appear to be a oil leak (black gunk moist). From what you said it has moisture or water/oil appearance.
I am not ruling out the hg but thought it might be interesting, (i know yours is older, but) Spoke with the dealer about benz's hg's, he said that after 97' that benz "improved the integrity of the hg's.
There may be the possible crank seal leak and you may have a combo problem as well, the pulleys have a tendency to throw oil or liquid to other parts of the engine.
The last item of interest would be if the oil was changed and perhaps some oil leaked down onto a pulley or another part of the engine?
I am sure you will be able to find out more when you do your tensioner and get a better look. B

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, and when i have the belt and everything out of the way i can clean it off a little better as well. i drove about 20 miles today after cleaning it and ill check it tomorrow to see if any oil reappeared.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i checked my engine again today for signs of leakage and i dont see any oil in the areas i cleaned off yesterday. there was no oil present in the area around the head gasket woo hoo! although im not going to get my hopes up too much yet haha. i guess ill just have to keep my eye on it and after i replace my tensioner everything will be clean, so ill be able to tell alot easier where the oil is coming from. :)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you wont mess anything up. just follow the directions on the can/bottle. some say to cover electrical components, some say it doesnt matter. i say use the cleaner, spray it all off with water, make sure its all washed of well. then wait for 15-30 min or so for the water to air dry off a bit and then start the car. the heat from the engine will dry it the rest of the way. ive done it serveral times to multiple vehicles and never messed anything up :)

just dont spray directly at your electrical connections. spray where the oil is on the metal.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
liquidusculade,

What was the cause of the oil leak in the area you circled in red in the photo? I have the same issue. It was like looking at a picture of my own '95 C220.
i never figured out what caused oil to appear in that spot, however i do know that i have a front crankshfat seal leaking that i need to replace. this causes oil to drip down all over my oil pan and gets slung up over the bottom half of the front of the engine due to the crankshaft and pully rotating.

·
Registered
2000 S430 (W220)
58 Posts
i never figured out what caused oil to appear in that spot, however i do know that i have a front crankshfat seal leaking that i need to replace. this causes oil to drip down all over my oil pan and gets slung up over the bottom half of the front of the engine due to the crankshaft and pully rotating.
Did you have the front crank seal replaced yet? I have a similar problem with my 98' C230 and am trying to build the courage to do the job myself as my indy has quoted me $200 in labor for the job. Does anyone have any experience with replacing the front crankshaft seal?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.