Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor, 2001
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an oil leak in that area. There is also oil in the MAF socket (where the wires enter MAF). Ocasionaly i get P0131 error code.

Any ideas where to start looking?
Thx!

Attachments

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
G

·
I have an oil leak in that area. There is also oil in the MAF socket (where the wires enter MAF). Ocasionaly i get P0131 error code.

Any ideas where to start looking?
Thx!
Do as Bazzle said then also check your engine block breather valve might be clogged which doesn't allow air to circulate back into the engine head and forced the air out through the hoses. I fixed this problem on my Slk 230 and has posted the pictures here about 4 years ago. If that is the case, you need to remove intake manifold complete and replace all the hoses and breather valve. It actually very easy to remove the intake manifold then it look. If I was you, use the flash light and look straight down from the oil filter housing to the bottom side of the engine block to check for oil leak. Good luck and hope you find the cause of the leak.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG 1997 SLK230 & 1978 280CE
377 Posts
Checked! I guess this is where it leaks from and it goes along the wires. What to do next?
What Baz said..........here are a few links for more info.......

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1350893-help-me-oil-leakage.html
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r17...html?highlight=Another+Oil+Leak#37;2C+Project
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1307032-broken-wiring-harness-near-valve-control.html

Suggest a very close look at the electrical connector on the Cam Adj Magnet......any sign of oil (even just moist) would indicate the need to check along the wiring loom.....oil on the outside of the loom/plastic tracks would suggest following Linh's advice......oil inside loom would almost certainly be coming from a leak in the electrical connector of the Cam Adj Magnet

......I know it is hard to believe, but oil can wick along this loom to the ECU and cause very expensive damage

.....if you find any oil in the loom then it may have to be replaced along with the Cam Adj Magnet

....there is also a wiring loom modification to protect the ECU etc. from future leaks (info in above links)

Good luck

David

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Also what Lihn says is correct. we always forget about the 2 lower crankcase breathers. There are 2 hoses going into 2 small orifices under manifold on block . They aslo block and make low rpm oil mist go thru top breather or vice versa.

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor, 2001
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oil leaks thru the connector. I will change the camshaft electro magnet.

After ocasionaly having the CEL on, with P0131, now i`m having CEL with P0130. Both O2 sensors are new. Can leaking oil be related to thise errors?

P0130 -O2 sensor circuit malfunction bank one sensor one
P0131 -Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Fix the leak 1st and clean off all the oil. Check to ensure no oil has wicked up the wiring loom. MB sells a plug for post 2000 looms that goes between magnet plug and loom to stop oil flow.
Oil in loom can get up to ECM and you may need to clean there too IF this has occurred.

Bazzle

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor, 2001
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you say "loom" are you referring to the duct tape that is arround the wires as in the picture above??

·
Registered
377 Posts
When you say "loom" are you referring to the duct tape that is arround the wires as in the picture above??
Wires from various sensors etc. are taped together to form the loom......so if oil is under the black tape then it is in the loom

If oil has tracked to the MAF connector and you are getting O2 sensor codes, then is seems likely the wiring to the O2 sensors has been affected by oil.....if oil tracks all the way to the ECU then all sorts of strange codes can come up and this is why diagnosis can be difficult and expensive...in your case you have found the oil first with only a couple of codes, so there is a chance the ECU is not affected

This is a link to replacing the wiring harness/loom on a W124 (different engine, but same principle would apply to our R170)

MercedesShopWiki: W124 Engine Wiring Harness Replacement

.....as you can see this is quite an involved task....but is going to be necessary if you find oil in the ECU box

David

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor, 2001
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thx! I don`t know why is so many duct tape... I don`t think that Mercedes cars come like this from the factory and, since this is a second hand car, i tend to belive that it have been involved in a crash or something like this.

2 questions:
1) Where is the ECU box located on R170.
2) Where to buy the wiring harness?

G

·
Thx! I don`t know why is so many duct tape... I don`t think that Mercedes cars come like this from the factory and, since this is a second hand car, i tend to belive that it have been involved in a crash or something like this.

2 questions:
1) Where is the ECU box located on R170.
2) Where to buy the wiring harness?

1) See pic.

2) There's no way you can just buy a single wire. You pretty much have to order the whole set.

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor, 2001
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thx, David!
I cheked the ECU box and there is no sign of oil. I`ve also checked the connector from the O2 sensor and also no oil there. I will trace from the connector up, maybe will found oil.

I DO want to order the whole set but I don`t know where. I`ve searched 4 online stores but did not find it. So if you know a store that have the whole wiring set, pls tell me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Seems you might have found the oil leak from the Cam Adj Magnet electrical connector "just in time"....what do others think??

I would carefully open the loom at several points between the Cam Adj Magnet and the ECU to try and determine how far the oil has wicked

.....the one thing that causes me some concern is finding oil on the lead to the MAF.....suggest check carefully to see if it is wicked oil or some other source

.......but to balance that, a new Cam Adj Magnet and "Starter Line" to stop further oil getting into the loom may be enough to protect you from the high expense of Wiring Harness replacement

.....if you didn't find any oil in the leads to the O2 sensors, then it is possible it is a problem unrelated to the oil wicking into the loom

....sorry can't help with supplier advice for a replacement harness (we pay ~ double the cost paid by our US friends for MB parts here in Australia)

David

1 - 20 of 27 Posts