Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I have a 1998 E320 Wagon, rear wheel drive with a V-6 engine. I have a steady drip - drip - drip oil leak just under the alloy canister that holds the oil filter. Under that canister is a square alloy cover plate about 1 inch by 1 inch that looks like it is held on by two bolts. That is where the dripping is coming from.

My questions:

1) Do I need to pull the canister or just unbolt the 1 x 1 plate? It looks like there may be a paper gasket under the 1 x 1 plate.

2) How do I remove the serpentine belt? I pulled one on my Jeep once and that had a tension release that I could put a 1/2 drive on. I did not see anything on my Mercedes like that.

Thanks to any and all who can assist. I live in the woods in Montana and picked up the car from the local Salvation Army for $2,500.00. Had to fix a lot of stuff but you folks have always been a great help. This is the best car I have ever owned and I would like to keep it running for many years more.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The 1x1 plate you refer to is an oil pressure test port. If you are sure that is the only leak point then you don't need to remove the filter housing,,,just replace the gasket under the plate.
The tensioner usually has a 17 mm hex protrusion that you turn anti clockwise to release the tension while you remove the belt.but there are some variations I think,and you can lock it in position with a suitable tool like an allen key into a hole if you want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick reply. Oddly my engine does not have an oil cooler.
Here is a link to a photo of my oil filter canister and the 1 x 1 plate underneath where the oil is dripping from.

http://www.timslife.com/oil_02.jpg

I placed a white paper towel under the plate.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Only the E55 has an oil cooler on the W210.

That square is an oil pressure test port. A rubber gasket seals it. It's cheap and easy to replace. Just remove the two bolts at the edges, not the center bolt.

I don't know what type of belt tensioner you have. You are supposed to have a new style tensioner but I have a feeling you have the old style. Which you should actually replace with the newer style.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply. Oddly my engine does not have an oil cooler.
Here is a link to a photo of my oil filter canister and the 1 x 1 plate underneath where the oil is dripping from.

http://www.timslife.com/oil_02.jpg

I placed a white paper towel under the plate.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Tim
Oh, oil galley cover. Gasket 112 184 00 80 or 112 184 02 80 as of engine 30 510815.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
My 98 E320 sedan has an oil cooler! Replaced the seals a while ago.

Sounds like OP needs that little test port seal.

Might be worth while also checking the breather plate that is on top of the valve cover. They leak and oil finds its way down onto filter housing. PS reservoir to pump connection can also leak fluid and drip down. I chased all of these a while back and posted here.!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone who assisted with my questions. Your advice and comments are incredibly helpful. The link provided to another thread discussing oil leaks from the pressure port seal was especially helpful. The comments about replacing the serpentine pressure roller with a newer one were also informative and helpful.

As I stated I live in the woods of Montana. I only see other people once every few days. The nearest Mercedes dealer is a 6 hour round trip in good weather.

But I do have access to the internet and the wonderful, knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum. This morning I ordered the parts I need. In a week or two I will get them in the mail. Then I will let everyone know how the job turned out.

MANY THANKS!
Tim in Montana

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My 98 E320 sedan has an oil cooler! Replaced the seals a while ago.

Sounds like OP needs that little test port seal.

Might be worth while also checking the breather plate that is on top of the valve cover. They leak and oil finds its way down onto filter housing. PS reservoir to pump connection can also leak fluid and drip down. I chased all of these a while back and posted here.!
Maybe the international market got the oil cooler then? The American w210 did not get it.

Are you sure yours is factory original? I think we need other international owners to chime in.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Maybe the international market got the oil cooler then? The American w210 did not get it.

Are you sure yours is factory original? I think we need other international owners to chime in.
My car is original. In Canada, I don't believe the cars are much different. Same USA spec. Just km on speedo and some minor other safety items are different.

From what I recall, the W210s did have oil coolers up to a certain engine number. Mine certainly has one! And vendors like Pelican Parts have them in stock (check the details for which engine numbers they fit):

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=Engine+Oil+Cooler+

·
Registered
891 Posts
+1 I’ve seen W210 E320s at the pick-n-pull with oil coolers. [edit] Could have been Canadian. I’ve definitley never seen an E55 at the pick-n-pull.

Maybe someone can share the VIN of an E320 with oil cooler so an EPC check can confirm original fitmnet.

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon
02 C320 wagon

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I just ordered two sets for my W210 and W208.
I just replaced the cover and gasket on my W208. Very easy job and will take 30 to 60 minutes depending on your level of OCD :)

Here is some tips:

1) You don't have to, but I recommend taking the serpentine belt off. You don't have to pin the tensioner. Easier access to the bolts and less chance of getting oil on the belt. Now is also a good time to check all of your pulleys and bearings.

2) Stuff paper towels or a rag below the cover. Oil will seep out when you remove the cover. Park your car uphill if you can. My driveway is sloped and very little came out.

3) Remove the plug off the cover while the cover is still on the engine.

Hopefully this is the source of my oil leak. I will know in a couple of days. My breather cap is dry, I recently replaced the valve cover gasket and I have no oil cooler.......fingers crossed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
260e crusier
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing